Korg D1600 - Pitch Correction & Touch Screen.

G. Heywood

I'm not sure, but I don't think I ever got a true answer whether the Korg D1600 has pitch correction capability or not. Also, I'd like to hear from users of the D1600, how they like the touch-screen feature, its' advantages, and whether it gets used a lot. I'm still shopping for a DAW, and pretty much have it narrowed down to the D1600 or the Akai DPS16, but then again I might wait to see some of the latest product from the NAMM show. Decisions, decisions.

The touch screen is great. I use it probably 50% of the time. I think it is quite ergonomic being able to use either. How can it not be an advantage in addition to dedicated buttons?

Why do people seem to be hung up on pitch shift? I haven't seen the need for it yet. Like Neil Young says about his slightly flat vocals "Thats my sound!"

BTW...the D1600 does have an time-expand, time-compress mode which asks whether to correct pitch or not...I wonder if you expanded a peice of a track that was sharp, (NOT correcting for pitch), and then contracted the same amount of time (and DO correct pitch) if it would effectively act like a pitch shifter? My brain is heating up a little trying to understand whether this would work. Maybe I should check it out...

This is my first HDRecorder, but I think I can safely say you will not be dissapointed. Korg should upgrade with 8 full XLR inputs, and track-outs. This would move it up a notch better.

Good luck.

Savageblues. Actually, just outside the apple butter cheese fesitval village of Wellesley. I'm usually thru Cambridge once a week. I'm hoping to cut back on my dayjob hrs. so I can get fully intergrated and appreciate having the time to work with whatever unit I purchase. When I was a full-time road musician I didn't have much time then either. I just cherry pick the one nighters now and do some session work when available.
Thanks for the info. Maybe we'll catch up sometime.

Korg D-1600: I'm in heaven!

I received my Korg D-1600 about 12 days ago...what a blast! The touch screen is worth it; of all the models that I saw on display in Mars Music (quite a lot, actually), this unit had the crispest, clearest display. (But I guess that's a matter of taste.) I'm finding it to be fairly easy to use and the manual seems well written so far. If you go to zZounds.com, you can get download the manual there.

Anyway, I'm kinda new to using digital equipment like this, and I'm just flat out, super impressed.

Jason

The D1600 already has 2 more XLR inputs than the Akai DSP16. Plus, it's got a bigger hd, is easier to use, and is much quieter. I was set to order the Akai but decided to go play with the two first. Glad I did, it changed my mind in a hurry.

Back