JBL LSR308 Recording Studio Monitors

homestudioguy

Studio61515-2.jpg
INFO FROM JBL WEBSITE
“Bi-amplified Studio Monitor with Magnetically-Shielded 8” Low Frequency Transducer and 1” Soft-Dome High Frequency Transducer and Image Control Wave Guide. Class-D 56 Watt RMS Amplifier for LF, and 56 Watt RMS Amplifier for HF. Balanced XLR and ¼” TRS Inputs with Detented Level Control, HF and LF Trim Controls.”

JBL LSR308 IMAGE CONTROL WAVE GUIDE INFORMATION FROM JBL WEBSITE
“• The Image Control Waveguide was developed for JBL’s new flagship M2 Master Reference Monitor and with the introduction of the JBL 3 Series, is now included for the first time in an affordable, compact reference monitor.
• The patent-pending design of the Image Control Waveguide precisely controls the sound emanating from the speaker in the vertical and horizontal planes ensuring the presentation at the listening position is neutral and accurate.”

JBL LSR308 TECHNICAL SPECS FROM JBL WEBSITE

Frequency Range 37Hz - 24khz
Max Peak SPL 112 dB SPL C-Weighted
Max Peak Input +23 dBu
LF Driver Size 203 mm (8")
HF Driver Size 25 mm (1")
LF Driver Power Amp 56 W Class D
HF Driver Power Amp 56 W Class D
LF Trim Control +2 dB, 0, -2 dB
HF Trim Control +2 dB, 0, -2 dB
Input Types 1 x XLR, 1 x TRS Balanced
AC Input Voltage 100-240 VAC +/- 10% 50/60 Hz
Dimensions (H x W x D) 419 mm x 254 mm x 308 mm (16.5 in x 10 in x 12.1 in)
Weight 8.6 kg (18.9 lbs

MY 2014 REVIEW:

To Preface, in regards to my personal listening comparisons, I am not a Professional Audio Engineer but I was a Professional Orchestral and Freelance Trombonist and have been playing on and off since 1963. Within recent years, the best monitors I have heard for an extended period of time have been the FOCAL SM9s.

I did a comparison of the new 8" KRK Rokits, Yamaha HS8s, Presonus Eris 8s', JBL LSR 308s and others at Sweetwater Music during their 2014 Gearfest in June in one of their Retail Listening Rooms.

The Sweetwater Representative switched slowly between each Monitor numerous times using the same program material.

What became immediately apparent to me was the Spatial Depth of the music coming out of the JBLs.

I found that it was due, primarily, to the new Image Control Wave Guide.

After further listening, IMHO, it became apparent that the overall sound being reproduced by the JBL had better balance across the frequency spectrum and was providing a much better overall sound than the other monitors.

It is hard to describe but the words “More Alive” or “Closer to Real” are about as good as I can get

Comparatively, the KRK Rokits sounded muffled, the Yamaha HS8s sounded flat and lifeless and the Eris 8's didn't have the depth.

Needless to say, I bought the JBLs then and there, brought them home and did some lengthy comparisons with my M-Audio BX8As (V1)) and my less than 1 year old Yamaha HS7s using my own recordings on Cubase and prerecorded CDs (Allison Krauss, Beatles, Mike Stern, Norah Jones, Pat Metheny, Stevie Ray Vaughn and others).

Interestingly, the JBLs and HS7s have similar Highs and Mids but the HS7s did not have the depth of the JBLs. Of course, the JBLs have better Lows as the HS7s woofer is 6.5” vs the 8” in the JBL.

The JBLs and BX8as also had some noticeable similarities but these were in the Highs and Lows. Without question, the JBLs have MUCH better Mids than the “Scooped” sounding M-Audios as well as having a greater Spatial Depth.

So-I like the JBLs as they provide a better overall sound across the board, they have the mid-range that was missing from my BX8As, they cover a lot of the aural ground the HS7s were providing, and unlike the BX8As, the JBLs have High and Low Frequency Trim Controls.

Negatives? Not really, although it would be nice to have the volume and trim controls on the front.

I look forward to using the JBL LSR308s along with my trusty Avantone Mix-Cubes.

Studio611515-1.jpg

The only other CON on the JBLs is the rear-firing bass ports, easily tamed by bass traps on the front wall. Love my 305s!

I have 8 inches of compressed fiberglass and other bass wave diffracting anomolies in my DIY "Black Hole" Acoustic Panels on the front wall so they pose little problem from that perspective.

Back