Isue with a tweeter

Pengu

So I have the Behringer truth b2031p, and both of the tweeter's don't work, I plugged one into the other to see if it was the crossover but it still didn't work. I plugged a tweeter that i had laying around and that worked but i dont know what happend to the original ones, the monitors work but its just the tweeters that dont produce sound.

pop some new tweeters in there, dont worry about cosmetics.
i got a old pair of passives that had focal tweeters and stuck them in some monitors and man...what a smooth hiend.
shop around for some tweeters..or just get the OEM replacements.
theres probably replacements you could find too.

not sure what would have taken them out?

Tweeters blow, it happens. For all you know someone else could have blown them and is ignorant of blowing them, or isn't telling you.
When you tested the spare tweet, you connected right where the old one was right?

Are there any numbers or legends on the tweeters? If so you could probably contact a speaker supplier like Falcon Acoustics who could match them up to a similar product.

The originals could have blown because the previous owner ran the tits off the speakers and caused the amps to clip (though GOOD active monitors have protection against such things!) Another possibility is "tape screech". If you drop some machines from FW to Play they don't keep the replay amps muted long enough (at all?) and the transposed mids bugger the tweeters (we fitted fused to KEF Chorals)

And! Once again I shall mention Monitor Calibration! Not only saves speakers, it protects your hearing and lets you make a better "product".

Dave.

And! Once again I shall mention Monitor Calibration! Not only saves speakers, it protects your hearing and lets you make a better "product".

Dave.
Not to hijack...... (as he hijacks :))

But monitor calibration. Why? I dont get it.
Only purpose i can see is to balance the left and right so both are at an equal level.

However, I'll monitor very quietly, where you can have a normal conversation, sometimes loudly, and all different levels in between.

How does this 85db 'rule' come into play when monitoring volumes change to mood?

Not to hijack...... (as he hijacks :))

But monitor calibration. Why? I dont get it.
Only purpose i can see is to balance the left and right so both are at an equal level.

However, I'll monitor very quietly, where you can have a normal conversation, sometimes loudly, and all different levels in between.

How does this 85db 'rule' come into play when monitoring volumes change to mood?

Well "Ah done KNOW! Ah ony read". But this is how I understand it...

You will of course be aware of the Fletcher-Munson loudness cotours? (now known as Equal Loundess Contours) These show that as the average sound level departs from about 80dB we get an increasing sense of bass (and treble to some degree) as levels go up and a loss of peceived bass, ref mid band, as levels go down from 80dB. So our "flattest" SPL is at about 80dB. When an engineer comes in to balance a mix day after day, he or she really needs a reference level so that choice are not made on an arbitary "blood n guts" concept. We all know that if you compare two devices, peeps almost always prefer the louder one.

There is also hearing damage to consider. The industrial limit is a "dose" of no more than 85dBA* over an 8 hours period. It would seem evolution "knew" the level we should harken at! Compensation cases for hearing loss are getting more common. Some musicians recently won a case for ACOUSTIC exposure in an orchestra! Large studio/broadcast complexes will surely be pretty ***t'ot on keeping speakers calibrated? (can only lead to better, more consistent work in any case)

In the Home Recording environment "85dB" is actually too loud for many of us. The average 30-45" FSTV will only reach 85dB with difficulty and not sound very good at all. The trick here is to calibrate initially at 85 and mark the kit. Then back off to a more socially acceptable 70-75dB, boosting to 85 when you can for a swift check.

Then, finally the reason I included it? If you keep to a calibrated level you are unlikely to bust the speakers!

*Don't quote me! The regulations are complex based as they are around an "Leq" and that is UK/EU regs and they have probably changed since I last looked!

Dave.

Back