Isolation Headphones

I've heard people say they're very uncomfortable. Life's too short! I'm using Sennheiser HD280s, they have very good isolation and I've had no problems. However, for the most sensitive situations I use Shure E2C earphones, which have astonishing isolation, and put the HD280s over the top unplugged as extra isolation.

Yo Cap:

Have to agree with the "DUDE." I had a pair of the Isolation cans; too tight on the cranium--not comfortable. I gave them to a friend who is an entertainer and has a "specialty" studio at home for doing his background music. He is a tad hard of hearing and loves the Isolation cans.

I use Beyer 250x and 770s=very comfortable for the long periods of mixing.
But, there are many good cans to choose from. The Beyer cans are a tad pricy but good quality.

Green Hornet :D :p :D
Merry Christmas

I'm not the Dude ... that's Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski ... if I am half the dude he is then I am indeed a dude indeed.:)

Yo Sir Dude of Noise:

Indeed! Way over there in the UK. Cold here in the colonies, at least in Michigan.

But, there is the theraputic relief of Laphroig over ice. Bless the Isle of Islay.

Merry Christmas & Happy Guy Faulkes Day [sp]

Green Hornet :) :D :cool: :p :D

I have reviewed the Extremes. http://www.mojopie.com/extreme.html

They import the ear cups from Switzerland. These are assembled in the USA. They use a barrier method of isolation so some people will find them tight. I have a big head (XL hat size). I've never found them uncomfortable but as we know one size does not fit all and we all have different preferences in how we want a pair of cans to fit and sound.

I've got a pair of the Extreme Isolation headphones.
They're not bad at all. Very usefull.

They only really start to bother me after a few hours of use.

I'd like to get a pair of em someday to help me really listen to what I'm doing when placing mics.

I remember when I first tried out my "new" kick mic (the 50 buck CAD musicians friend sells... it was better than the nady's, but not the most open sounding mic still) I clamped my current phones (some $30 akg's from MF) on real tight, and still could barely tell if I was hearing the sound from the mic, or the sound from the drum. Of course this was with the front head on, and not tuned very well, and me trying to play and listen at the same time while I had a friend's kit at my house.

Not too useful for this thread, but just my little related anecdote.

The Green Hornet said:
But, there is the theraputic relief of Laphroig over ice. Bless the Isle of Islay.
Hurrah! It is, of course, best drunk whilst on the island itself. I went there a couple of years ago and toured one of the distilleries. Very cool.

Happy Guy Faulkes to you to, Hornet. Thank God they didn't blow up the Houses of Parliament.

I have come with a nice alternative to your delema. I bought a nice set of Sony "earbud" headphones ($40)that goes right into your ear, that alone blocks out a few decibals, then i bought a set of construction type earphones that block like 30-40 dbs(you know like a jackhammer guy would be wearing) at my local home improvement store for like $15 bucks and put them on over the sonys, and have not had any problems hearing the main mix coming through the sony's. mY drummer actually said he couldnt hear his drumset enough so I had to turn down the main mix for him. YOu just need a headphone extention cord that matches your needs.

cheap and effective, plus you get multi use out of both head sets when not used for your studio work. use the sonys for listening to your walman, and put the construction ones on when your wife is yelling at you for spending too much money and time creating your masterpiece. man i should be president of something.
good luck

Last edited:
Back