Instant Digital Recording Devices?

Hi everybody, does anybody know if there is something you can get that can digitally record audio instantly like a cassette recorder, but digital?

I have a Tascam DP-004 pocket studio digital 4 track but the problem with it is it’s very very time consuming to use. First you have to set up the song file for every song, then set up the input settings individual for each song, then to get what you recorded out of the unit you have to go through a tedious and laborious process, of setting an out point and then bouncing the song out. A process called mastering in this unit.

However, what I want to do is just record one thing into a recording device, not multi track. This will be a band practice from our mixer or me practicing a song on my own. Then I want get it off this device to send to my band mates, via Dropbox or similar service, as quickly and easily as possible. What in the modern world could preform this function?

Does a modern mobile phone have a way that you can record audio through an aux input? My mobile is old-hat and has no inputs of any sort. It also has no outputs so you can’t get anything you have recorded or filmed (audio or video) off the phone. Can anyone suggest a device, phone or otherwise that could do this job.

Thanks for your help,
Gareth

What mobile do you have? If it has a way to record your voice then it likely can be used...depending on what kind of file that phone creates for that recording. Normally....that file can then be emailed to yourself (right from the phone) or anyone you want. So....what model is your phone?

Thanks Mickster, It’s Sony Ericsson Walkman. I can't see any other model info on it. However, it doesn’t have a line in or any input socket and I need to record an audio signal from a mixer or an electric drum kit output. It would have to be a phone with an input socket. I've been looking at the Zoom H1n Portable Recorder but need to find out how the WAV files it creates are stored and organised on the unit. I don't want to mess about with naming the files on the unit or anything like that. Thanks again for your help.

Is there a function on it where you can select an icon and record on it? Lots of phones....even of that vintage......recorded using the same mic that you speak into during a phone call. If it has an email function on it.......then you can likely attach the recorded file and send it anywhere you want to. Short of that though........the zoom may not be any faster or easier or uncomplicated to use and send. Do you have a tablet PC by any chance? Some of those are VERY cheap and will easily record.

I need to record through a LINE IN not an internal mic (I am sending from an electric drum kit or a mixer) and you can't do that on any modern PC you need an audio interface (I've got a Apogee Duet) but there are others. Macs abolished analogue inputs many years ago and I would assume that PC did also. If there was a tablet PC that could do it I would be very surprised but I'll bare that in mind as I continue to investigate. Thanks again.

Ok, I’ve just ordered the Zoom H1n from GAK for £79.50 including postage. It should arrive in about a week. Then I’ll see what the line in is like and what the record and retrieve process is like.

Basically I want something where you don’t have to mess about naming each audio clip inside the unit, just start and stop recording, and then find the audio clips (WAV files) ordered in chronological order on your computer interface when you connect it with a USB lead. Just like the photos in a digital camera or the clips on a digital camcorder. Then hopefully you just drag the WAV files out of the device onto your desktop and then name them on your computer. I don’t want be naming files within the unit or setting up input setting for each individual file. This is why that Tascam was annoying.

Also, I have just seen the Zoom H5 Handy Portable Recorder for £193.00, which I will upgrade to if the record and retrieve process is as easy and quick as I hope on the H1N. This has more convenient inputs, a pair of 1/4 inch jack and XLR combos. This is much more convenient than a single headphone (1/8 inch) input, but obviously I want to know how the record and retrieve process works before I spend £200 on a unit. Annoyingly, this is never covered on the YouTube videos about these things! It shows you them recording but it never shows you them getting the files onto their computer! :-(

Back