I updated my d16 hard drive myself

markert

Yes, I did the thing that Korg denies could be done. I ordered a 6 gig drive with the same specs as the older drive, except it was 6 gigs instead of the original 2.1 gigs. I ordered it from mobile planet - model #mk6411mat. It was pricey at over $200, but after losing 2 hours of recording last week due to a full disk crash, I don't care. I followed instructions from guys who had upgraded to 4.3 gigs and posted info on the egroups.com D16 email group. Search that site and you should find the info. The guys were named jjslim and gneville.

For those wondering why didn't I put in a bigger drive: these are laptop drives and kind of expensive. Secondly, I don't know how big a drive the d16 will recognize. I didn't want to be greedy.

Korg D 16

Yes, I talked with Mark (jjslim).....his is working VERY WELL ! Yours still working ok? Have you loaded any of your work on an MP3.Com site yet?

RSTC:

My drive is working great. Actually less noisy than the original, but still grunts and groans a little. I haven't loaded any MP3s yet, but recently got Soundforge Siren which (I think) will allow me to do so. I have been doing alot of recording with my friends. We all wrote a couple of songs and are taking turns playing parts for each other. Damn, music is fun.

Madura Foot Studios (aka my very secure basement) Partial Equipment List:

Korg D16 with 6 gig drive and yamaha cdr
Mac g4 400 with Cakewalk Metro and Delta 1010 (new and yet used)
Celeron 566 with acid pro (new and barely used)
yorkville ysm-1 monitors
Johnson J-station
midiman DMP2 dual preamps (3)
presonus blue tube preamp
Rode NT1
Rode NT3 (2)
sm-57(3) and shure 545sd(3)
AKG d112
various drum kits/guitars/amps
yamaha psr530 keyboard with nanopiano module

And......... 15 years later the drive took a dive on me. Actually I haven't used this D16 in years due to moving to Pro Tools, but now my kids are playing music and messing around with my old stuff. The D16 had been out in the garage for a while and the drive made horrible screeching noises. So, I bought an old used 30gb IDE laptop drive from a used computer store for $18 and slapped it in. Voila, I'm back in the early 2000's. Works great and this really was a good machine for its time. Really the only big drawback was the lack of a good way to dump tracks to computer.

And if anybody is wondering why I didn't just convert to solid state or compact flash...I tried and never could get a solid state device to properly initialize. And I'm not messing with that any further.

Now on to resurrecting the old Fostex D-160.

And......... 15 years later the drive took a dive on me. Actually I haven't used this D16 in years due to moving to Pro Tools, but now my kids are playing music and messing around with my old stuff. The D16 had been out in the garage for a while and the drive made horrible screeching noises. So, I bought an old used 30gb IDE laptop drive from a used computer store for $18 and slapped it in. Voila, I'm back in the early 2000's. Works great and this really was a good machine for its time. Really the only big drawback was the lack of a good way to dump tracks to computer.

And if anybody is wondering why I didn't just convert to solid state or compact flash...I tried and never could get a solid state device to properly initialize. And I'm not messing with that any further.

Now on to resurrecting the old Fostex D-160.
New to this site, but really need someone's help. I have a Korg D16 that's disassembled, hard drive out. Years ago, on an identical D16, I replaced its factory 2.1G drive with a Toshiba 60G drive. Initialized, worked fine, for years, not a single problem. I think I had upgraded to their 3.1 OS. On my second D16 I started disassembly and removed that factory 2.1 drive... and stopped there (long story!). Someone was holding both D16s, but unfortunately the working, fully reassembled D16, with the fully functioning 60G drive, went missing. So I'm left with the D16 who's drive is out. I have everything: power supply, all boards, knobs, screws, connectors, and the 60G upgrade drive, like new, sealed in original foil, no reason to suspect it won't work.
PROBLEM: I can't be sure where all the inside screws go, cuz I took it all apart years ago, and without the second, fully reassembled D16 in front of me (the one that went missing) as a visual guide, I can't possibly reassemble everything exactly as it's supposed to be. Any suggestions? But even more problematic for me is attaching the connector to the pins of the new drive (see 3 attached pics). You can see the connector is about half the length of the row of pins on the drive, and I remember having to plug in that connector to just the right spot, to just the right pins, for it to be installed correctly. I got that info online after a pretty long search (cuz Korg's tech people were telling me swapping out drives was not possible..."proprietary" hard drive, etc.), and when I installed it exactly as instructed everything worked great. But I can't remember where I got that info so many years ago, so, good people, any help with my issues here is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6527.jpeg
    IMG_6527.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6528.jpeg
    IMG_6528.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 7
Back