I need help with my Yamaha AW16G

mr. bilistic

I just recently purchased
1. New Yamaha AW16G Audio Workstation
2. New Heavy duty Yamaha case
3. New Groove Tubes GT55 Studio Condenser Microphone
4. New ART V3 Two Channel Tube Preamp System
5. New Behringer HA4700 Four Channel Headphone Amplifier System

I've been messing with it and I have a lot of questions (for the yamaha aw16g) hopefully someone can help me.

Mostly all I record is vocals, my music is put on cd then I transfer it from the cd to the yamaha, so that takes up the first two tracks. now here are my questions.........
ok, the first two tracks are taken by the beat, that leaves me with 14 suppossedly, right? ok, well here's how I usually record. 4 tracks for each verse (normally there are three verses) and 6 tracks for the chorus.(this is if I don't fuck up and have to do any punch ins) so........
1)obviously I need more then 14 tracks. Or do I? Can I record all three verses on the same 4 tracks? I mean what if I do the 1st 2 verses great then fuck up on the 3rd verse, is there a way to keep the first 2 verses and just re record the 3rd on the same track, or would I have to do it on another track? if I do record them all on the same track would I just have to let the beat play between each verse and just come in when the verse comes in, or can I move the marker to where I want to come in at, etc?

2)I'm having problems assigning an effect (like reverb) to different tracks. I figured out how to get it on one track, then when I try to put it on another track it doesn't work. at the top of the screen it says the track # that I want it to be, but yet when I try to put it on there and then I play the track back it's not on there. and no the bypass isn't on.

3)is there an easier way to edit, like to silence the track b4 I come in and after I'm done then to just play the track and count the time then go and punch that time in to silence it? what about if there is like certain parts of the verse you want to silence, like If I mess up a word and want to erase it or something.

4)how do you do punch ins with this, and Do you have to do them on a seperate track?

5)how do you use the virtual tracks, and how do you bounce, and when do you bounce tracks?

6)is there a way to connect this to my computer? my sound card doesn't have optical ins or outs, or midi ins or outs? what's the cheapest, and/or best solution to hooking it up to my computer so I can use cool edit pro for some things (cause I'm very used to this program) and how can I make it to where moving the sliders on the yamaha will move the stuff on cool edit pro?

7)when recording vocals(with the set up I have) what's the best settings to get the best quality. like should the yamaha slider be turned down, and turn the input mic up, or turn the gain on the art pre amp up, I mean, how should I be setting it up, what should I turn up, etc.

that's the questions I have at the moment, hope someone can help with some of them. if you really think you can help me you can also call me and maybe walk me through some of the shit while I'm actually sitting at the equipment. email me at scottaltall@hotmail.com or scottaltall@yahoo.com for the phone number if you'd like to help me that way. either way, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Also I need a shock mount for the mic (groove tubes GT55) where Can I get one that will fit this mic? holla. and thanks for your time.

www.mrbilistic.com

www.soundclick.com/bilistic

That's an awful lot of questions mr b.

If I had an hour with nothing better to do I could answer all of them, but you have a little learning mountain to climb. The manual answers virtually everything, but its not the easiest thing to read.

But you are gonna have to do some reading - if you go to www.aw16g.com they have some much better written manuals for you to download.

To answer some of your questions

Each of your vocal tracks runs the length of the song from start to finish. So the 3 verses and 4 choruses all go on one track. It's just like a tape.

To punch in, you just arm the track you want to punch in on, press play, when you get to the point where you want to punch in hit Record and Play together, and you're punching in.

To assign FX to a track, press the Track (not the input) button of the track you want to assign them to, then press the appropriate effect knob, which will bring the menu up.

Er - I need to go and keep my daughter comnpany now, visit the awi6g website, download and read and you'll be fine.

Cheers

Garry

thank you very much, the manual helped, now I think I got the basics down, here's what I need help with still though..... I started recording one song. I got all three verses done tracks 1 & 2 have the beat on them. track 3 has verse 1 main vocals, track 4 has verse 1 double up, track 5 has verse 1 add libs, track 6 has verse 2 main vocals, track 7 has verse 2 double ups, track 8 has verse 2 add libs, track 9/10 has 3rd verse main vocals, track 11/12 has 3rd verse double ups, track 13/14 has 3rd verse add libs, and track 15/16 has the intro(talking) now I need to record the chorus, how do I get more tracks to record on? I need at least 6 tracks for the chorus. Please help me, what do I do now that it SEEMS I've ran out of tracks(although I know there is a way to get more, just don't know how).

OK, you need to move tracks 6,7 & 8 onto tracks 3, 4 & 5. You'll need to read the manual carefully, but basically you're looking to find the point when Verse 2 starts, and move the audio from that point on over to tracks 3,4 & 5. Same with the third verse.

The point is you don't need to use different tracks for each verse.

ok, the reason why I did is because what if verse 2 is louder then verse 1, and verse 3 is quieter then both, ya know? how would you be able to adjust the volume on one verse without it effect the volume of the other verses if they're on the same track?

Hi mr b. You can do that too - it will memorise fader moves. The fader is not automated but you can still record volume changes. The bad news is I don't have a clue how to do it (I transfer everything on to a PC to mix it) but it's in the manual.

Happy reading:)

If you have the CD burner on your Yammie you can export .wav files that you can then load into an audio sequencer. If you don't have one then I think you're looking at exporting a stereo pair at a time tgrough the digital outs into a suitably equipped sound card.

(Why is nobody else helping:confused: )

Seriously, you'll get more informed help over at www.aw16g.com

But keep going - you'll get there.

Back