I guess I'll keep AW16G

sickstring69

Buying a powerful laptop in a couple of weeks and was dreaming of maybe switching to computer based recording. I know nothing about it and from the many hours of research I've done on these forums I guess I've been scared off. I checked out the Tascam us-122 and the Lex Omega and the Mobile Pre...well, you get the idea. All I found was problems and complications. My AW16G I find challenging enough but after all the reviews I almost feel relieved that I have it. I guess I found that USB recording is a haphazard affair but I'm not saavy enough to get into the "real" stuff involving soundcards etc. Anyway...should I stick to my Yammy or is there a starter rig out there that I've missed and that works? Thanks :confused:

I have to say that I love my AW16G. It is a very professional piece of equipment and I get some great recordings with it. It does need some out board pres but other than that its wonderful and stable. You can always record on the G and dump your songs to CD as Wav files and edit/mix them in a DAW on your computer. You really have the best of both worlds with it. You can also use the G as a DAW controllor too!

I have worked with a Akai DPS12 and I must say that I was very content with it especially compared to workstations (mostly Roland e.g. 880/890 series) in the same price category. Especially audio quality of the DPS12 is very very good. It's kind of straight forward in features and e.g. mixdown automation but all you need is there.

I have some experience with PC recording but I found the crashing ProTools and plugins that refuse to work, crash or require registration / purchasing very inprofessional, discouraging and the results very sterile and plastic sounding. Even had the same experience with a studio that recorded with ADAT (all fine) and when they converted it to ProTools on a PC for (automated) mixdown it became crap; sterile and e.g. drumtracks out of sync. I'm sure the engineer must have been doing something wrong but if they (a semi-pro studio) can't seem to get it right I certainly can't!

After 3 years I though it was about time for an upgrade. I've "studied" all the workstations on the market and chosen the AW16G for it's extremely good price/feature/quality factor. I was considering the new Boss BR-1600 which is about €1100 in Germany but bought a second hand (one year old) AW16G for much, MUCH less. The BR-1600's got a drum machine (that I do not require but I liked the feature) and 8 XLR phantom powered inputs which are just handy while I mostly record live bands (with micro's) but while I have a good mixer with 2 stereo outs and 4 subs I guess I don't need 8 x XLR in. I'm very happy with the two XLR + phantom power 'cause it saves a lot of hassle when I just want to record e.g. vocals at home.

Summary: the AW16G is a great recording workstation and really delivers excellent (if not the best) value for money I think.

:D Yo Pee/Vee, et. al:]

Some of the work I do involves adding ambience to dead tracks. Funny that you mentioned a Pro or semi-pro studio giving you "sterile" tracks as a finished product.

I just did some work on one song from a Professional Studio here in my area where the engineer had some kind of ear defect. The result was "sterile" or very, very dry--no ambience or "life."

I did a "rejuvenation" to a cassette a very good friend of mine played in, recorded live. He sent a copy to the Star vocalist who paid for the mastering. She was really happy to get a copy of her work that was much more lifelike.

So, I found it interesting to read your review of studio work not coming out pleasant for your ears. I record on the Yam 2816 which came after the 4416. The AG16 is modeled on the same type of platform. Nice machine and it holds up--I've had almost NO errors when mixing down to a CD.

Happy Spring
Green Hornet :D

I work in studios and at home, Sickstring, and I realize that a using a standalone involves compromise. That said,
I sometimes notice the problems mentioned above while my computer-only colleagues (sometimes even a bit snobby about the issue) are hard at work. Meanwhile, at home, my fingers are flying across my 16G with rarely a technical obstacle of any kind--and never a complete crash in two years of daily use. I can't complain. As a musician primarily, I'm able to focus on my writing and performance while the G does its job, day in and out, without a complaint. When I need more, I head to a local studio.

I've learned G's limitations, work around them, and realize every day how much is there that I've still never used. All things considered, one of my best recording investments ever.

Best,
J.

I think if I had an SIAB and a computer I'd still use the computer. But if you don't want to, that's fine. I would get some digital transfer or another (CD-R is far from the worst way) and stick some wavs onto my computer for graphical editing though.

Back