how long is to long for rack gear to run at high temps?

audio_leak

hey all,

well the hot days are nearly over where im from, but were still getting some really high temp's some days and it always manages to be on the days that i have free for recording.

i have a small one room studio, with heavy room treatment. so it gets really, no like i mean like seriously really hot!

even when i dont have my rack gear turned on, or even plugged in. the unit feels extremely warm. not like anything that id instantly be WORRIED about, but still it does get me thinking.

how long is too long for rack gear too be running at high temps in rooms?

should it even be run at these times?

i have been taking my important gear out of the room when its really hot, and i havent ran it at all on those days.
am i being over cautious?

i ran my old lexicon usb interface at these temps for sometimes days at a time without turning it off, and never had a problem with it, does rack gear usually hold up to sessions in hotbox studios like this?

Last edited:
How hot? Some gear will, in the specs, give you the operating temperatures.

My place gets hot and super-muggy, which I'm sure is worse. I've had a few times where I left my gear on without the ac on by mistake and it's been around 100˚F in there and there were no problems.

Up until about a year ago I had most of my gear on since the late 80's. It's the cycling between hot and cold that really screws things up I think.

One thing I do is when I mount rack stuff I leave a gap between the units if I can, and even more for heat-prone stuff like tube gear.

well outside right now is about 42 degree celcius which is above 100 F i think.
we had a 45 a few weeks back though, and even with the door open it was like a steam room in my studio.

i run the AC in lounge room in the morning so the room gets a lil bit cooler, but it has to travel down the end of the hallway through a series of fans which isnt really ideal to say the least lol.

but it gets much warmer quickly with the door shut and 2 or 3 people in there though obviously which isnt pleasant!

i havent mounted my rack gear yet, so should be okay with air getting to through the unit for now.

im going to buy some kind of AC for next years hotter months but i thought id save the money for this year since its nearly over.

Here I see free/almost free ones on Craigslist all the time. They may be ugly or two-thirds wasted but if you look around maybe you can score one - a lot better than the sauna treatment. :cool:

Here I see free/almost free ones on Craigslist all the time. They may be ugly or two-thirds wasted but if you look around maybe you can score one - a lot better than the sauna treatment. :cool:

Id turn it off to do your tracking...and only in rooms with a window...if you like living.

Back