Help buying carvin PA system.(kinda soon)

I've got a small powered mixer and it seems to hold up very well. I don't care for their mics and cables, though. I'd look here for those. On their DVD they really do the throw-the-amp-across-the-parking-lot test.

Carvin seems to make decent solid stuff. Is it any better or worse than Yamaha, Peavey, Mackie? Probably similiar. I've owned a Carvin power amp and a bass amp, both of which I thought were better than average quality and know all their cabs use Eminence drivers so you probably cant go wrong there either. For mains, I tend to prefer working with a biamed sytem over using huge single mains but thats just my preference. I do this with smaller lighter 15" molded cabs poll mounted on 18" or horn folded subs. The advantage is better flexibilty and control over your low end and the high and mid frequencies get better dispersed over the heads of you audience so they're not killing all the folks in the front row. This requires an extra power amp and crossover though which means more money.

The only issue I have with Carvin is that if one of your products breaks down you will need to ship it back to them in California for servicing as they do not release thier schematics to local authorized electronic repair centers like most companies do and this can equal up to a couple extra weeks of down time plus costly shipping.

NRS said:
For mains, I tend to prefer working with a biamed sytem over using huge single mains but thats just my preference. I do this with smaller lighter 15" molded cabs poll mounted on 18" or horn folded subs. The advantage is better flexibilty and control over your low end and the high and mid frequencies get better dispersed over the heads of you audience so they're not killing all the folks in the front row.

Yup, get mains you can get over people's heads. If you don't want to get into the whole crossover thing, plenty of amp and powered sub products out there have built-in ones that will get the job done at first. Also much more flexible system to upgrade.

As far as Carvin....there are two kinds of people who won't care you have Carvin gear. People with absolutely no clue, and real pros familiar with Carvin's high-end boxes. The pros, however, wouldn't be interested in Carvin's entry-level stuff. Pretty much anyone inbetween is gonna want to see Yamaha, JBL, Mackie, QSC, etc., established names. The monitors are probably fine, but ditch those cabs and that mixer.

I have a friend that installs sound systems to small churches on tight budgets as a side business. He only uses Carvin sound systems, stays away from intry level, but says his customers are always happy.

I am a fan of any company that offers us, small guys, a good value.

Remember, they have a trial period. Use it. If it does not fit your needs, return it.

Charlie

well then what do you guys suggest would be a good system to get then? i figures a 800 dollar mixer wasnt entry level, but i guess i'm wrong.

tom18222 said:
well then what do you guys suggest would be a good system to get then? i figures a 800 dollar mixer wasnt entry level, but i guess i'm wrong.

Really it's more the configuration than the actual gear. You could get a set of their powered tops and subs with the mixer and monitors for about the same price, it looks like, and end up with a much more flexible system.

There are similar products from a number of companies. For good bang/buck, alsomcheck Yorkville.

One thing about those kind of mixers, made by Carvin or anyone else, is that a 10 band or whatever EQ is fucking useless. It's basically there for marketing. It's money that could be spent on making the damn things a little more rugged or something. I personally would try to find a used Allen and Heath Mixwiz and buy a Behringer DEQ2496 for an eq.

alright well then, if you wouldnt mind, could you tell me what speakers and subs youd get. i'm trying to keep it around 3 grand.

bars and clubs. we're miking the drums (OH, kick, snare), and if need be, the guitar cabs and maybe run the bass into the pa if necesary.

thanks for your response, i appreciate it.

Two of these:
SW1801BA

And four of these:
PM15A

Will all total $2500 (shipped) and everything is powered so you wont need any amps, just a mixer and poles. I recommended the moniters be the same as your mains too so if one of your mains ever go down you can swap it out with one of the moniters (or even use all four as mains in a DJ type situation).

Cant vouch for Carvin mixers cause I never used one but can say in a live situation that having good quality speakers, a biampable configuration, and amps with sufficiant head room is going to far outwiegh whatever mixer you end up with. Not that you shouldnt still get the best mixer you can afford, just that its less crucial for live work than in recording and the above speaker selection should still slam with even an average decent mixer. Whether you prefer outboard processing or like all your effects and EQ built in to your mixer in an entirely different issue that is up to you. Both have thier pro's and cons and are subject of another post but so far, the Carvin doesnt look too bad for what it is and its price/feature ratio. Around the same price will put you into the Mackie CFX or VLZ range though as well as a few others.

Last edited:
NRS said:
Two of these:
SW1801BA

And four of these:
PM15A

Will all total $2500 (shipped) and everything is powered so you wont need any amps, just a mixer and poles. I recommended the moniters be the same as your mains too so if one of your mains ever go down you can swap it out with one of the moniters (or even use all four as mains in a DJ type situation).

Yup, and if you buy two of those PM15A in a package with a mixer, you'll be good to go for just over $3000.

NRS said:
the above speaker selection should still slam with even an average decent mixer.

Let's not get crazy. :p It will do well for acoustic music for a couple hundred people, a few less for a band. Any really hard rock, punk, etc, are probably out.

boingoman said:
Let's not get crazy. :p It will do well for acoustic music for a couple hundred people, a few less for a band. Any really hard rock, punk, etc, are probably out.

Average decent: Meaning there probably isnt going to be leaps and bounds of difference among the few top selling 16 channel 4 bus mixers in the $600-$800 price range. Just emphisizing not to underestimate the importance of good speakers because when shopping PA's people often let the mixer eat up most of thier budget and spend whats left over on speakers which may be the best strategy when shopping recording gear but should probably be the other way around for live sound reinforcment. Everything counts for something though, even the cables one chooses.

Whether buying everything from Carvin or just the speakers, dont forget to ask what kind of package discount or extras they might include since its such a substancial buy.

NRS said:
Average decent: Meaning there probably isnt going to be leaps and bounds of difference among the few top selling 16 channel 4 bus mixers in the $600-$800 price range.

Oh, I was speaking of the system in general. The original system he was looking at Carvin said would cover 1400 people. A pair of those 15" powered speakers are supposed to be good for 700. :p I was just making a call for a reality check.

If you're talking about

running the bass direct through the PA, that's going to put you in a whole different ballpark. It's one thing to add a little for more even coverage, but if you're using it as the main bass system, well, good luck with that one.

It depends entirely on waht kind of music, how loud you're trying to be, and how big a place. 'Bar' and 'club' are pretty vague.

Personally, I think you're underestimating what you'll need, especially in terms of cabs. I'm not a fan of the powered mixers in general, because I don't like having all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

What you should do is go check out other bands in your area and see what they are using in terms of power and cabs, at the places you are wanting to play. Not that you have to get what they have, but you can tell if it seems underpowered or like overkill, and what the coverage is like. The fewer cabs you use, the more likely it is to be damagingly loud right in front, yet anemic anywhere else. It's all about dispersion, and dispersion requires power.

I bought this same system and and have been pleased very much. The 1588's are unbelievable and they give a hell of a thump.

How much do you know about PA systems? :confused: don't buy shit :eek: until you learn as much as you can about how to maintain, operate and the necessary system requirements are needed i.e what mics to use for back line gear, daul 31 band eq's settings, RTA's and pink noise, x-overs settings, FX unit's settings. Yamaha has a book which is the handbook for Sound Reinforcement from beginners to experts read and study that book first :cool: educate your self then you'll understand how to buy a PA system. :D Beside that Carvin system you linked is just a numbers game to attract noobs that don't know any better. :( There's no way in hell that system can cover a crowd of 1400 just marketing BS hype. :mad:

Back