Hearing Protection

Mickster

Hey everyone..........I just had an incident where an air compressor hose burst and caused me some hearing issues. It's not so much that I've lost hearing.....possibly a small amount......but I get some upper frequency rattling sounds in both ears at higher volumes and that was not happening before. I also have some additional tinnitus from the incident. I had a fairly low level before. My ENT said that the busrt caused some damage. No broken ear drum but some inner stress that needs to heal. He gave me 9 days of prednisone and is thinking that the effects will heal over time............at least 2 months or more.

Anyway..........I do some live stuff from time to time and am going to see Joe Bonnamassa in February and I'm told I must protect my ears for a while.

So........what do you guys use for hearing reduction / protection in a live band situation?

Very sorry to bump this thread but was hoping someone could give me some advice on what they use for hearing protection. I need something that will lower the dB level enough to be functional while playing live but still give some protection. Any suggestions?

I use some custom moulded 9db attenuated ear plugs from a UK company called ACS. My drummer uses ISOLATE ear plugs which he has good results from.

Thanks for the info. On a recent trip to GC I found a product called Hearos. They make a number of different versions but I found that the 12db version works for me. Just enough reduction......very good tone transparency........and comfortable. To be honest........I wish I had been using these for live playing years ago.

Back