Headphones for home studio/monitoring

transfinite

Hi ppl,

Any recommendations which headphones would be the best choice for home studio monitoring & mixing use? I make electronic stuff, so solid bass repr. is a must! Price range preferably under 200€...

I own Sennheiser HD-570:s, and was thinking of buying HD-280 Pro:s....

How about akg k271?

TIA

hi,

of course you already know that you really shouldn't monitor through headphones right? :P I use them more for listening to idiosyncrasies within recordings. But I guess if you're making electronic music only it should be alright....I'm not a pro, I only know what works for me.

Anyway, I use the AKG 240 studio headphones. They are super comfortable and sound like a theater around your head! I think they cost me less than $100...but it's been awhile. Nice Bass response with the AKG's. The sennheiser HD280's are a good choice as well

adam_in_audio said:
of course you already know that you really shouldn't monitor through headphones right? :P
I think you mean mix ... ?

Monitoring through headphones is often essential (though perhaps not for electronic/DJ stuff).

I don't have any "high quality" headphones, just some cheap Sennheisers I use for tracking with. Hope you find what you need!

adam_in_audio said:
hi,

of course you already know that you really shouldn't monitor through headphones right? :P I use them more for listening to idiosyncrasies within recordings. But I guess if you're making electronic music only it should be alright....I'm not a pro, I only know what works for me.

Anyway, I use the AKG 240 studio headphones. They are super comfortable and sound like a theater around your head! I think they cost me less than $100...but it's been awhile. Nice Bass response with the AKG's. The sennheiser HD280's are a good choice as well

Which 240's?? S, M or DF?

You'll find a lot written about phones here if you search a bit. What I like a
lot buying phones is that they're so small and light--it's easy to buy 2-3 models and compare them at home with your own system and ears. I did exactly that last year, buying the Sony 7506, some AT 40s, and some Senn 280s, and used them all for a few days. I kept the Senns. For me, they offered better isolation, a snugger fit, and the freqs seemed better balanced for my musical tastes. And when it comes to listening, personal tastes rule, so try a few models--I'll bet that one will quickly win you over.

Guluk,

J.

I have 3 sets of HD280's, and they are excellent tracking headphones. They are durable, comfortable and provide great isolation. And gee, too bad - I'm not supposed to monitor with cans? Look ma, no control room. When you are tracking acoustic in a room, isolation is critical, and the Sennheisers bleed very little, in fact, better than extreme isolation headphones. On paper, I think the 280's attenuate 2 more db's. I understand I don't mix with cans, but I have to track with them. I'd like to try the Sony's described above, though.-Richie

I have a pair of mdr-7506 and i like em'. I'd like to try the hd280 and see how good they are when monitoring drums when you are in th same room with them. Does anyone know?

Back