Harmonizer: Vocalist Workstation EX or Vocalist VR?

aznwonderboy

I bought the Digitech Vocalist Performer a year ago. The harmony is very artificial ("alien like") when a high note is sung. Therefore, I want to upgrade to a better one; either 1) VR or 2)Workstation EX.

I read that the VR can give "natural characteristic of human voice", but the price of this unit is lower than that of the Workstation EX. However, the Workstation EX has several bad reviews about the sound quality being artificial also.

I don't have enough to spend on an Eventide harmonizer. Retailers sell the Workstation for $500 and the VR for $300, but I believe I can get either one for less than $200.

Anyone with experience with either one of these harmonizers please share your 2cents. BTW, I would use it to do home recording, not for live.

Last edited:
I have the VR, however I recently upgraded to the TC Helicon VoicePrism Plus

I don't beleive there is anything tha can provide completely accurate harmonies. It's a machine, not a human and that is going to be obvious (although more obvious in some machines than others) in particular in higher registers.

That being said, I've had good luck with the VR and VoicePrism by following some basic guidelines.

1) I add at least one human voice (beyond the lead vocal) with the machine harmonies (which harmony line is human depends on which line is the most important, or which line someone can sing) given the limits of the machine, I often try to cover the high harmony with a human voice.

2) I find subtractive EQ on the mids helps the machine harmonies sit in the mix better

3) I keep the machine harmonies as low in the mix as I can - and almost always use a human harmony for two part lines.

4) I set up a MIDI track to dictate the vocal lines - and I am careful to hit the MIDI note prior to the vocal line (to avoid having the machine chop the sound).

5) I never expect the machine harmonies to fool me (however they often fool others).

I'm not convinced a step up (from a work station to a VR) will make a significant change for you. Candidly, I'm not convinced my jump to the VoicePrism has given me all I hoped for.

Like any piece of gear, it's a tool that can enhance, but not replace a good human performance.

Interested?

I have a TC Helicon Voiceprism Plus w/soundcraft modeling card. I am selling it for 500. The entire unit cost me 1399, but the price for a new one now is dow to 999.00. The unit is in excellent condition, like brand new, all manuals and original box included. I don't do enough vocals to use it to it's capabilities so it's gotta go. I have pics if needed. TC i believe makes some pretty damn good harmony processors.

Back