hardware modifications?!

TomK

I'm relatively new to recording equipment, but my experience from hifi and computers is that there is usually a lot of modifications going on, like replacing low quality cables or plugs or overclocking CPUs or whatever. I'm not seeing a lot of that around here. There should be a need, right? Perhaps some things need better cooling, others better shielding. Does anyone know any good links regarding this?

the only reference to "overclocking" a computer I've really heard about ended with my friend saying "and then it blew up!"
honestly, with todays processors and power do you really think you need to overclock to get some speed?
yes, a good, fast processor helps with onboard processing (like EQ, Reverb, Compression and the like.)But in all reality,I think a buttload of RAM and a smokin HUGE hard drive are the way to go.
my setup is now approaching obsolete, but I track with a 233mHz PII, 128MB of SDRAM. works good for me! I just can't do a whole lot of onboard processing AND mixing at the same time. if I do the little bill gates demons inside my computer shut it down.

about the connectors aspect: yes, good quality connectors help a WHOLE lot. that's probably one of the easiest places for RFI (read: Radio Frequency Interference) and just plain ol' noise to sneak in. If you get a decent sound card setup it will probably come with a break out box....with good quality connectors.
as for hard drive...I think removable media ROCKS! I use JAZ SCSI. sweet.
it used to be the catch phrase was SCSI fast and wide A/V...about as fast as you could go. these days with all the advancements made
most any hard drive will be able to record audio well. although the slower drives may not record as many tracks at the same time.

Back