Guitarist/Vocalist home record Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen. Scarlette

Winfred

Hi!

After some research I decided to buy a new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools for $160 US dollars, was that a good price? I bought it on December 31st 2019 from Amazon because I thought maybe in 2020 they'd raise their "price point" on it. It hasn't been shipped yet from Amazon.

The 2i2 will have latest ProTools, will that be good enough software sound quality-wise?

In 2004 I recorded 2 acoustic solo piano albums (nearly 4,000 sold by 2007). I saved my two Studio Projects B3 mics and nice quality XLR cables, plus two mic stands. The M-Box I still have is now "obsolete". I just purchased two pop screen filters and two shock mic mounts because of recording my acoustic guitar and voice. I didn't have such filters before as I recorded only solo piano with no vocals.

Is a pop screen necessary for the guitar mic?

My B3 model large diaphragm condenser mics with my solo piano recorded beautifully with my M-Box. Does a large diaphragm condenser mic work okay with acoustic guitar?

Back in 2004 the sound engineer at Oasis CD Manufacturing said he was "blown away" by the quality of my two solo piano albums and had to do only minimal sound engineering. I remember he did things like remove any unwanted clicks etc and did "compression" and "limiting". Is the compression and limiting part of it done so my recording can be broadcast over FM radio?

I remember something needed to be done professionally to make it so my recordings would sound good over radio broadcast. Several radio stations played my music. I'm hoping for the same result this time around, but wonder if I really need remastering if what I record sounds good.

Can one on a low budget not have to get remastering and still be broadcast well on FM?

I tried to find that sound engineer now 14 years later with no luck. Does anyone know a good engineer that remasters for low budget musicians?

I have played my old (purchased used for $10 at Salvation Army store) but very nice sounding nylon string, or "classical" guitar. I have enough original music to record two 60 and 84 minute albums. I made a mistake and brought a recent CD of my most recent guitar/voice recordings, WAV files, to two radio stations with folk music programs. I made the CD's from my pocket size Tascam DR-05 little 2 AA cell battery powered recorder. One station aired one of my songs on 12-26-19. The DJ texted me while the song was on the air. He cut my 9 min 34 sec song short at 6 min 42 sec with their on-the-hour station ID. I think I made a big mistake and he cut it short because he wasn't happy with the recording quality and hadn't listened to my song first. Is it very strict with the FCC a station announces the ID on the hour? Now I fear they will never listen to my better quality recordings once I get them together. I feel very bad about what I did, my only real chance to be "known", plus no response from the other station with my cover letter and CD either.

From anyone else's experience... does it seem like I blew my chance for a good launching of my music? Any advice about my DAW? Any advice from any angle is very much appreciated. Also any suggestions as to how to best post my thread here at Home Recording.com.

Thanks!
Winfred

Last edited:
Back