Guitar Stand - Upright or A-Frame

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I need to buy my first guitar stand for my bedroom studio. I've used a half dozen or so of other's while on stage and in studios - they were all the standard upright tripod with neck yoke. They all worked well while still seeming a bit shakey when bumped into but never managed to knock one over.

The local GC has no inexpensive tripod stands and is taking their sweet time getting more stock. However, they're loaded with A-Frame stands. These don't look as if they could hold a guitar as well as a tripod. I might trust an A-Frame if I set in a corner for side support and less opportunity of being bumped into. I'm unable to do wall-mounting.

Would anyone like to give their opinions and experiences with either of these types?

I don't want to spend more than about $25 for one stand.

Guitar Stands 101: The Ultimate Guide for Stage and Studio

Having reasearched a bit more, I 'm going to save up a few more duckets and spring for a Hercules GS414B Plus w/AGS Yoke.

It's twice the price, but shure is nice.

Hercules Stands - GS414B PLUS

Last edited:
After more more research, I stumbled onto the Fender Deluxe Hanging Guitar Stand : Fender(R) Deluxe Hanging Guitar Stand | Accessories

This is very much like the Hercules with a different height adjust mechanism and no AGS (Auto Grip System). It's about $20 cheaper, depending where you look - Amazon has them on sale for $33.05 ea. So now the Fender stand is on my list and Hercules is off.

from a dude who just recently noticed a large white-ish wood showing from his mint condition Black painted Fender...the scraped chunk of paint removed, is a mystery....but obviously due to sloppy studio layout and care.

whats the cost if the guitar falls over in a cheap stand? do you mind paint nicks? or worse a soft metal fret dented...offering eternal buzzes on notes..broken tuner...or worse broken headstock?

my 30+ yr old Squier isnt dinged or damaged? go figure? only my most expensive guitar in mint shape got damaged? I have them leaning up against a wall with a blanket to sit on...I really dont know how it happened...but a black piece of tape is now covering the thumbnail large chipped paint spot.
oh well... spilt milk.

Early 80s was our first trip in a studio. This was a basement home studio and the walls were lined with 1/8 wood paneling. There were no guitar stands. After several songs we took a short break, our BL spun his guitar around and leaned it against the wall, then we gathered in the booth. I was the only one facing out the window as I saw his Antique White, Gold Hardware Les Paul begin to slide. I ran out and picked it up to find no damage to the finish but two keys were slightly bent.

Even a $2 guitar stand would have acceptable there, IMO.

I never lay a guitar up against a straight wall, always in a corner if that's available. Otherwise, in it's case.

is it really that difficult to put something in a case...?

i guess it does take some monumental effort and probably a great amount of seconds....lol

the case wins, everytime.

is it really that difficult to put something in a case...?

i guess it does take some monumental effort and probably a great amount of seconds....lol

the case wins, everytime.

I’ve seen more Gibson guitars with broken headstocks from being in the case. Very common. Acoustics too.
Cases have gotten better, but are no guarantee.
In fact they offer a false sense of security, with often times no one to blame. A case falling over seems harmless and most won’t immediately open it up to make sure the guitar is good.

cardboard case? or airline case?

i wont doubt what youve seen..

but Ive never seen a broken guitar in a case. I do recall a 1962 SG jr case that was like card board thin but that was rare.
....most my generation were nice airline cases...or hard fender cases.

I suppose those gig bags dont protect much.

After more more research, I stumbled onto the Fender Deluxe Hanging Guitar Stand : Fender(R) Deluxe Hanging Guitar Stand | Accessories

This is very much like the Hercules with a different height adjust mechanism and no AGS (Auto Grip System). It's about $20 cheaper, depending where you look - Amazon has them on sale for $33.05 ea. So now the Fender stand is on my list and Hercules is off.
Recieved the Fender stand this morning. Looks great. Works great. I set my Strat into it and gave it a few strong slaps sideways across the upper yoke and it barely lifted a foot - good low center of gravity. I still have the original plastic sheet over the pick-guard, which is beginning to curl at the edges. The rest of the plastic was removed for the set-up.

strat fender stand 1.jpgstrat fender stand 2.jpg
strat fender stand 3.jpgstrat fender stand 4.jpg

Let's see... it's been a year and three months. Time for a quick review.

This stand is great for my acoustics and Strat, but my Yamaha bass reveals it's shortcomings.

With the yoke extended upward as far as it will go, the bottom strap nut just barely clears the floor. It's extended so far it's nearly pulled out of the lower tube - just enough inserted to allow the locking clamp to grab it. Though this seems a bit precarious, it's holding tight.

A more bothersome problem is where the bass' lower body rests against a leg. The leg is close enough to the jack insert as to interfere with a line cord if left plugged in. So I have to make sure when I set the bass in while still plugged in, to swing the bottom to the left a little, keeping the line jack from taking the weight of supporting the body.

Other than those two nits I'm really pleased with this stand and would definitely buy another.

barely clears.jpg

obstructed.jpg

shifted for clearance.jpg

Yes. I have one of these stands, originally bought it for my Schecter RavenDark V because all of my other guitar stands are for traditional guitar shapes, and it never really went high enough for me to feel good about putting it in the Fender stand... the tips were always too close to the ground and if I adjusted the legs so it had a little more height then the V wouldn't rest against the legs properly... so now my Ibanez Destroyer (think Explorer shape) fits nicely on it and I use one of the On-Stage mic stands (actually it's a weighted "utility stand" GPA1003) with their guitar holder addon after seeing it used in a Sweetwater video with the Alex Lifeson guitar in the background hanging on one.

Ever seen the ones that hang on the amp head? No jack location problems..There is an 'over the top ' one too.

Screenshot 2021-12-08 113531.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. I have one of these stands, originally bought it for my Schecter RavenDark V because all of my other guitar stands are for traditional guitar shapes, and it never really went high enough for me to feel good about putting it in the Fender stand... the tips were always too close to the ground and if I adjusted the legs so it had a little more height then the V wouldn't rest against the legs properly...
I've seen stands with the yoke lowered and the V's set with tips on the floor and the neck laid back into the yoke - not hanging. OK for some, I guess, but I don't like that road-worn look it might get.

Ever seen the ones that hang on the amp head? No jack location problems..There is an 'over the top ' one too.
Haven't seen these before. I may have to buy a bass stack and try one :)

Back