great online sites for purchasing recording equipment? <nt>

I know of zzounds.com and musiciansfriend.com, and they're great, but they don't carry a few things i'm looking for. Anywhere else??

Mail order

I don't like zZounds, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Musician's Friend is okay, but nothing to get excited about.

In the general-discount-music stuff (kind of the equivalent of the "big box" retailer), I've liked Music123. They're good about matching prices. Actually, they will pretty much always beat any Internet-advertised price you give them. www.music123.com

I'd probably put Sweetwater in this category too, though they position themselves more as a full-service pro speciality shop. They throw little goodies into your box (candy, cable ties), which you may find charming, depending on your personality. www.sweetwater.com

A real pro audio shop (as mentioned in another thread) is www.mercenary.com. They mostly sell stuff that may be a bit out of the typical "home recording" league, but the site is interesting, even if you don't have a taste for retro pinups.

Two cool mail-order retailers are Full Compass and Markertek. You should get their catalogs, anyway. Full Compass doesn't really have a big "online" capability. Last I ordered something from them, you had to use a phone. If that scares you, you'll have to deal with it. fullcompass.com www.markertek.com

There are tons of them out there. I probably have 50 links in my "favorites" directory. Some are really "Mom & Pop" operations where someone (kid?) got a website together. Here are a few interesting ones that may not be on every list of links already:

www.bswonline.com
www.proaudiodesign.com
www.tradingmusician.com
www.jacksmusicstore.com
www.iec-usa.com (not exactly a music store)
www.juststrings.com
www.jrfmagnetics.com
and of course www.radioshack.com

Sj, thanks for those links. I've been trying to find some serious used consoles. Now I just need another $168,000 and the Neve is all mine, baby.

Of course most here would probably say the Behringer is just as good.

BUZZZZZZZz:

You guys left out FULL COMPASS. Everytime I do the 800 numbers for a piece of gear, Full Compass always comes in with the best price. No, I don't work for FC.

Nice gal there called, Heather. She even sends an E-mail to say, "Thank You for the Order...."

Have to run. Kato is trying to get the last Coors.

Green Hornet

:D :D :D :p :p :p :p :cool:

Is FC really that good on price? I always found them to be a hassle, what with the calling them up for a simple price quote. Inevitably I must be transferred to my "audio consultant" who is never there, and I get voicemail. Very frustrating, so I usually go somewhere else. But if their prices really are as good as you say, then it's worth another shot.

Yo eight-armed rustler:

I sent you an E-post and included Heather Paske's E-mail address.

You can also call her via the 800 number for FC. Mention my name, Ben, and she will give you good service.

I had a rep at Sweetwater that was such a pain in the stinger that I have not ordered ANYTHING from Sweetwater for the past six years. Hornets get pissed sometimes.

I've had a good relationship with FC and will continue to do business with them.

Green Hornet
PS No, I don't work for FC

:D :D :D :p :p :p :cool:

Also, the key to full compass, is you can negotiate those prices believe it or not! TIP: When you're buyinh stuff, buy it all at once. They ship it freight so its cheaper than UPS, and then you can wheel and deal with em.

Back