Got my Yorkvilles today!!!

mamm7215

And I couldn't be happier...nice and flat sounding, I've put a ton of CD's through them and some of my music mixes and I'm actually quite surprised at the clarity and nuances I couldn't hear before, some good, some not but that's what they're supposed to do I guess. I did a lot of reading and it was up to the Yorkies or the Wharfedale 8.2 actives but basically the Yorkies were just more convenient to get for me but I highly recommend them.
JMHO.
Thanks.

Yorkies monitors

Did you get the YSM1p or YSM1i or the YSM1?

Doesn't sound like you can go wrong with the Yorkies,
great to hear you loke em..

whats your music type and room/studio...any monitor
comparisons?

Sorry, I should have said YSM1P actives. They're a little bigger than I thought they'd be. There were some BX-5's and HR624's next to it but I thought the Yorkies sounded more "natural"?? The others didn't have the bass and I could hear all aspects of the music better in the Yorks than the others but I'm a little biased because I kinda made my mind up on them anyways. My musical style is Pop/Folk/Rock-ish I guess. I haven't posted anthing yet 'cause I'm hoarding my stuff until I can get my CD done hopefully by summer.
Thanks for the reply..Yorkies Rock!!!!

Yeah, yeah, I know but I'd read the HR624 was actually comparable, it's not.
I know a 6.5" woof will have more bass than a 5 but for my budget home studio, you can't go wrong with the Yorks. FWIW I probably would've gone Wharfedale if they were more convenient to get a hold of but I couldn't wait any longer...

..........now spend the next few hours tuning your ears to the Yorkvilles by listening to your OWN mixes while noticing each & every nuance so you can critically judge your material.

Enjoy and good luck!

I got my first monitors about 10 weeks ago and I've already outgrown them!! I got the Alesis M1As for a very small 2nd-hand price ... and I really didn't like the Wharfedales (and the salesmen trying to get me to buy them didn't like em either). But I'm acutely aware of their shortcomings after listening to them for a couple of hours a day for that time. At first it was like putting glasses on, now I feel like a need a checkup and some stronger lenses!!!

Anyway, maybe this will or won't be your experience with the Yorkvilles. Make sure you get to really know them, and have fun with your music!!

The only complaint about the YSM1P's I could possibly have, is that the 1/4 plugs don't seem to make a uLtRa-good connection.

Other than that, I love my lil' yorkies.
The damn things are tanks! That's what surprised me most was the weight of them...

Are you using the 1/4 jacks or the xlr jack???

*edit* being that it's a "combo" jack, I guess technically they are the 'same' jack, but I think you get my meaning...

I have been using a set of Yorkville’s with my vintage JBL 4311s in my studio for about 2 years. I also have a extra set of Yorkville’s in my house that I use for checking mixes in a different environment. The Yorkville’s (for the price) are a great close field monitor.

cellardweller said:
Double- Do you use XLR cables or 1/4's????

I haven't run into anyone yet who use XLR's on their york's....

it really isn't going to make any different if u use high grade cabels man~
with my setup, i use 1/4 for my ysm1p XLR for my 824
coz my mixer doesn't have two sets of XLR stere outputs

but i only have two high grade mogi XLR cable soo... i fed it to my 824~ hahahaa

Last edited:
noisedude said:
I got my first monitors about 10 weeks ago and I've already outgrown them!! I got the Alesis M1As for a very small 2nd-hand price ... and I really didn't like the Wharfedales (and the salesmen trying to get me to buy them didn't like em either). But I'm acutely aware of their shortcomings after listening to them for a couple of hours a day for that time. At first it was like putting glasses on, now I feel like a need a checkup and some stronger lenses!!!

Anyway, maybe this will or won't be your experience with the Yorkvilles. Make sure you get to really know them, and have fun with your music!!

ysm1p are supurior than alesis m1
the resolution is just better, better than MK2 version also, just the upper mid is annoying on some bright sounding music ... to my ears
oh and the bass isn't as big fat sounding as m1mk2, but tighter, narrower, but still nice in a way

PS, every monitor sound dfiffernt even when they are the same model... so try before buy~!

dxl said:
it really isn't going to make any different if u use high grade cabels man~
You've not had any problem with the 1/4's making a less than ideal connection? What brand of cables are you using?

If I so much as look wrongly at mine, they'll cut out or get static... as long as they are stationary, they're usually okay though...

cellardweller: I have a set of the older YSM1 that are not powered, they are passive. I run them through an ALESIS Matica 500 Power Amp and always use banana plugs for connectors.

cellardweller said:
You've not had any problem with the 1/4's making a less than ideal connection? What brand of cables are you using?

If I so much as look wrongly at mine, they'll cut out or get static... as long as they are stationary, they're usually okay though...

i dont remember what brand they are, they are balanced, they are decent, no static, or extra noise that is noticeable at low monitoring volume~ just remember , alway get balanced cables, evne when ur sound module or effect have unblanced outputs

I use 1/4" jacks out of my M-Audio 24/96 Audiophile soundcard. I thought about rerouting through my mixer but I feel the sound quality vs. volume control from board option weighed in favour of the quality. Also, if you're having issues with a connection, they've got a pretty good warranty but I have no issues with mine, other than LOVING THEM TO BITS!!! And I'm also way more stoked about sitting down and creating music again...

wow

!! ... some tracks...sound bit too bright with these speakers ...for my ears....
especlly ones with lots DX bell, and highpitched female vox...but i like the image they displayed
anyway, its good that that u like them... but u only demoed 3 kinds of monitors?~
you should get a passive volume control box then~
for me... since i only use two chennls of my mixer at once, so it's not killing the sound in a noticable way...
plus... i have multi input sources and outputs/headphones.... even a presonus centrol station dont have enough inputs.... so oh well.....
dont feel like feeding that extra $$ for close to no impovement hahah ba babababb... the... da...

Last edited:
Back