A good set of monitors

mndog75

I am looking for some good speakers to listen to my mix before I record to cd, I dont want to spend alot of money, but dont want junk either. The speakers will never leave my studio there just for mixing purposes only. Also can I run them through my mixer or do I need to invest in a good amp???

Powered monitors will work straight out of the mixer, and don't need an amp.

KRK, M-Audio, Tapco, and Fostex all make nice powered monitors in your price range. If possible, you should hear before you buy.

If I were going to spend $500, I think the M-Audio BX8's have the edge.

That being said, obviously try as many as you can. I just dig the BX8's - I've tried the... Well, pretty much everything in the range. At least don't settle on a set until you hear them. No idea at all why they aren't insanely popular. I guess marketing is everything...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

i'm currently looking at a set of old SP5Bs, not sure they're brilliant but look ok for the money. I can't get the Yorkevilles over here so in that range it's something like the Tannoy Active Reveals, the Events, the Behringer Truths and the Alesis M1As. And of course the newer M-Audio ones. I don't reckon it'll make a huge difference with my bedroom being how it is, and I really need fairly small ones cos I have a degree to work for on my desk!

Don't think that helps ..... sorry.

I thought that too.

I want to get good monitors but don't want to spend alot of money.

I went to Guitar Center, with my CD in hand.

I tried KRK V8, and V6, Event TR8, MAudio, Alesis MKii, Mackie HR824, and HR624.

My conclusion. You can't beat the Mackie HR824. They sounded the best in that room hands down.

Save up your money and buy the best. You won't regret it.

But do go listen, and you will pick the Mackies.

guitarjesus said:
My conclusion. You can't beat the Mackie HR824. They sounded the best in that room hands down.
That's great - except NO ONE makes recordings a in GC showroom....

guitarjesus said:
Save up your money and buy the best. You won't regret it.
The Mackies are good monitors, but hardly representative of "the best." You wanna hear something excellent? Then try a pair of ADAM S-series....

guitarjesus said:
But do go listen, and you will pick the Mackies.
What a silly thing to say - everyone's ears are completely different. You simply cannot generalize like that........

guitarjesus said:
Gidge

Those do not compare.

Why waist your money. Save up and buy the ultimate.

it isnt about me or you....its about someone who wants to spend $300-$500......

Save another 500 bucks and get the Mackies HR824, for the price you can't beat it.

300-500 dollar monitors sound to tinny and lack bass. Waste of money.

The Adams have ribbon tweeters. Don't ask me what my point is because I don't know - I just wanted to write ribbon tweeters

Ribbon tweeters
Ribbon tweeters
Ribbon tweeters

I feel better now. But I feel a new band name coming on:confused:

What about those Yamaha MSP5, every music store in montreal says it is THE reference for that price range... never hear about it in this post.

Thierry

lapieuvre said:
What about those Yamaha MSP5, every music store in montreal says it is THE reference for that price range... never hear about it in this post.

Thierry
UGH! I heard and hated them... had all the nasal honk of NS-10s only with deeper lows and highs...!

Back