Gear Set up for Songwriting / Mixing

Mbjams

Hey ! glad I found this place..

I'm looking to expand my set up, and was curious if this set up would work , and if there would be a better option for the Preamp or Interface.

I have the SSL plus but need to get another Interface to go with my SSL X-Desk .. Was thinking Antelope Discrete 8 , and the Audient ASP880 Mic Pre. ( I use Logic for songwriting and already have the SSL X-desk. so I assumed I needed a bigger interface to run stuff through the mixer. and a channel strip or Mic pre ) I actually don't plan on recording other bands - Just my own stuff. I do play and write music professionally , and will need to mix orchestral stuff for those type gigs, and want to make better band demos, and maybe have a good Mix engineer mix on my set up . Also don't want a ton of gear , just a few decent things, and was wondering if this would make a good songwriting suite. Also would I need a Patchbay for something this small ? thanks for any thoughts or ideas !!!

hello.. pretty serious machine the SSL XL Desk.

cool 500 series plug/play ...variety optional.

so you will be recording through the SSL XL Desk (4qty stereo outs (8qty)). So the audio interface needs to handle 8qty IN minimum, then that goes to the DAW, it seems. If my evelyn woodhead speed reading is correct.

Did you load up the XL Desk with 500 series units yet? That sounds fun.
all current SSL analogue consoles and much of their outboard, and so it shares the same ultra–clean family sonic signature...so some Neve? JoeMeek 500 series added would be interesting.
SOS
SSL XL–Desk

Your Antelope or Audient both get good reads.... the XL can do 8qty at a time A,B,C,D it seems. Maybe someone can check all this.

That 500 series design is really excellent for versatility, Id never seen anything like that before.

Whats the maximum amount of mic's you will be using at one time?
:eatpopcorn:

Hey thanks for the reply, I think I'll rarely record Drums at my place , at the moment anyway, so just a few mics at a time - but I only have the X desk - the cheaper summing mixer , sadly not the XL desk..

solidstatelogic.com/products/x-desk

I think even with the X desk I'd benefit from an Interface w 8 outs so I can run stems through it .. The last nice studio I recorded at had the XL though and it was a blast, sounded really good. plan on getting that someday.

Back