Gear choice

dsealer

I'm planning on buying 2 pieces of equipment this coming week. Before I do I’d like to get some feedback and suggestions. I'm going to buy a Tube Mic and a preamp. I’ve narrowed the mic to 2 choices, the Warm Audio WA-47 Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser and the Mojave Audio MA-200 Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone.
Based on those Mic choices can you recommend a preamp? I’ve been looking at lots of them but I haven’t been able to make up my mind. I really don’t understand all the options. I currently have a 20 year old Art MPA Pro. But I want to upgrade.

Thanks
Don…..

my 2 cents, a tube mic and tube pre could be some tube mojo (or placebo)…. and if you have a interface you probably have a nice clean preamp, so skip that.

Transformer or Tube.... clean & dirty... whats on your radar?

Maybe the sound you want is a compressor? Like a LA2A tubish unit...

Thanks for you 2 cents. I'm not sure what type of "flavor" I really want. I just want to upgrade my preamp and buy a new mic. I don't have a tube mic so that will just give me another option. What is it you say I should "skip"?

Thanks,
Don........

Id skip the clean preamps, because you already have those with your interface most likely.

I tried a few clean preamps during my preamp year of comparing a few, and other than added Gain, the tone and sound was near zero difference than my interface clean preamp. ymmv.

The ART MPA upgrade is interesting... that's a great unit, isn't it? You have a long time with it, you know it well.
The old Joe Meek stuff like VC1 and VC1Q are color. That would be different than the MPA.
I don't know if the UA610 is a hundred miles different than the MPA. my 2 cents.

UA is more expensive and probably engineered with better components and all that, but in HR studio that might not be a big deal so much in sound, but a upgrade in other ways.

Im thinking you could try a Daking for transformer tone, a UA610 for a tube comparison to your MPA.... if you don't like them, they would be easy re-sells.

if nothing else....maybe try a GAP LA2A :D

Thanks for the reply and, I've spent sometime looking at your suggestions. I have this one opportunity at the moment to buy something that "hopefully" will make an impact on my recordings. As for preamps I was looking at these 3. All are quite expensive (for me anyway) but would be a big upgrade over my MPA. What are your thoughts on:
WA 273 eq preamp;
Neve 5211 2 channel;
5012 2 channel.
Thanks so much for your response and input. I can't tell you how important it is for me to get feedback from other folks.

Don.....

very nice.
which one? the decision will be in the details, but all of the similar Neve sound.
some transformer smoothness, the silk .... i have gearboner..

add> ok....Ive read a bit. I think I would go with the WA273EQ because it is $1400 and the Neve 1073DPX version is $4500.
But there the details are more similar and the In and Out transformers is a design staple.

the Neve Portico had a lot of good articles from people using it with wide range of mics, U47 and MA200, and pro-recordings made with it on the Neve site.
the Neve 5211 would probably be my second close choice, it has the NEVE quality and resale brand, and non-clone thing but it would be a decision based on the In transformer importance. No DI input..hmmm? It isnt the same sound as the transformer input, as I read it. Maybe its cleaner with the TLA (transformer like amplifier) but it is different.

Is the Warm quality as good as Neve? would be a question, and will customer service be needed?

the WA273EQ,...., just has all the NEVE stuff...the EQ and the In & Out transformers and the HR DI inputs etc. My take is this design can get a little more saturated and darker, the newer Neve might be full, rich, cleaner per some reviews.

great stuff..

:eatpopcorn:

Last edited:
Back