Fostex dmt-8vl

Polyethylene

Does anybody else here have one of these digital multi-trackers? I just got one last week, and was hoping to talk about it with other users. I haven't gotten too in-depth with the special editing features, but I have started recording some of my guitar and a friends' band. This is my first multi-track recorder, so I'm still getting the hang of all of this.
Thanks.

I have a Fostex DMT8VL and I love it.
I have used it extensively and I know how to get the most out of it. The biggest drawback it has is that it can only record two tracks at once..You can have eight inputs but they will be sent either left or right! For a band situation you have to record only two instruments at one time...Like guitar and drums...etc.

Ask me some more specifics any time

Dom Franco

AFR77777@aol.com

Thanks for the response!
Yeah, I noticed that only two tracks can be recorded at once, and learned (the hard way), that the inputs have to panned either R or L. That's what I get for playing with it straight out of the box without peeking at the manual. Hey, how could I resist?
I'm going to be doing a good bit of recording with it this weekend, hopefully, so if I come across any more questions/comments, I'll just post them up here. If you have any suggestions or hints for me, I'd love to hear them, too. Thanks!

I own the Fostex DMT-8 (not the VL)

My first suggestion is to read the poorly written manual.

The tricky part of simultaneous multitrack redording with it (mine will do 4 tracks) is that it's really easy to accidentally bleed your tracks into one another.

The pan pots also funtion as group assignments.

The tracks are recorded from the groups that you assign them to. The groups are assigned to the main mix by a group button. It is confusing, but once you learn it, it's a pretty cool all-in one device.

Good luck.

Conrad Josepi

fostex 8 track DMT - 8vl

Hey, i'm looking at buying one of these. What do you need to get the audio onto
PC and burn to disc. Only tools i have is the PC itself. Any other ways to get onto cd?

I use a stand alone cdr machine with an optical cable. I can record analog (with rca) to cd or optical to cd. I think i convinced myself to keep this thing because i'm learning my way around it. I have five programs that i'll have to unload separately, but i stick two songs on one program.

I'm thinking of buying on of these machines myzelf. But how do i connect a cd-writer or my computer to it?? Please help, i'm a newbie to this stuf

Hello!
This appears to be the obvious question...is there a direct method of loading the hard drive info from the dmt-8vd directly to the computer? (since it has the optical out), or do I have to monkey around with a separate cd recorder? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Bela

Hello!
This appears to be the obvious question...is there a direct method of loading the hard drive info from the dmt-8vd directly to the computer? (since it has the optical out), or do I have to monkey around with a separate cd recorder? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Bela

The DMT series (I had the first version the DMT-8) are set up to archive to DAT. As far as I know there is no other media that is easily interfaced with these units. Now, I had mine set up with my DAW via MMC (MIDI machine control) so it would be possible to dump the tracks to a DAW with that type of set up. But trust me! getting that thing to sync was not easy at all.
As computers got faster I ended up selling my DMT-8 and went straight DAW but at the time it gave me 8 extra tracks with the 10 or so I had with the PC and the ability to print midi during the mix down.

hello im looking into recording equipment and i have come across a used dmt8vl i was tinkering with it at the shop learning it cuz its all new to me so i was trying to record and i could here the bass on the headphones but got nothing on the play back. the bass was the only thing plugged into it. i got a couple warnings. void out and when i tried to erase i got void data i looked through the extensive manual and it doesnt really tell me to much. could anyone help me out?
email me at chaputcraneclan@comcast.net

Back