Which drum machine is best for recording?

Lukecifer13

Hey guys and gals,
I'm kind of new to this home recording stuff. So,be kind. I have a Tascam Portastudio 414 and I was wondering what drum machine would be best to record with? I've been looking at the Boss DR-670. I heard it was pretty versatile with making your own drum tracks and user friendly. I just want to make sure I'm making the right/compatible decision. What are your thoughts and what would you recommend?
Cheers

I personally like the Roland R5. But the sounds might be a bit dated for some peoples tastes but the ability to randomise pitch, velocity, nuance etc makes it really nice for me... My bud has one - I've borrowed it a couple times but he always wants it back.
Depends on the sound you're after I guess
Roland/Boss have been making drum machines for a long time. They know what they're doing. The DR880 is their current flagship model but the 670's sound-set should be fairly current
Worth looking at the Alesis SR18 though... Is the updated version of the SR16 and most people who've used drum machines (myself included) have used it at least once.
Check out YouTube videos...
Include the Electribe ER-1 in your search

What King of music are you making?
You could go 'groovebox' (you seem to want a hardware solution) and get some synth action at the same time as the drums... I recently got a Novation Circuit - writing with it and my acoustic at the moment and tracking into my old Tascam 4-track cassette recorder - very fun.

Thank you Dave! I think I might go with the Dr-880. Any pointers you can tell me about the Dr-880? I was told it can write whole songs with chorus and bridge sections. Is this true?

Back