Is DPC Latency The Same As Recording Latency? (Dell Laptop Question)

WinterWinter

Hello,

I have just gotten a Dell XPS 15 9750 i7, 16 GB, 256 GB, etc. etc.

I have heard of it's issues with DPC latency, but nothing of recording latency. And I'm new to that term so I didn't know if they implied the same thing.

Now, I have had problems with recording latency, but I didn't know if that had anything to do with the laptop, or with my interface.

I am using a Scarlet 2i2, simple USB 2.0 interface and I have occasionally noticed just a smidgen of recording latency, I was wondering if this had to do with the laptop, or if I could simply upgrade to like a Thunderbolt connecting Clarett (which I plan on doing anyway) and have my problems solved, or if there is anything else I could do.

What size is your ASIO buffer set to? And what in/out latency are your ASIO drivers reporting in your DAW?

DPC latency is more a function of the CPU than the drivers. If you're experiencing audible latency, that'd most likely be a symptom of having the ASIO buffer set too large. Find the smallest ASIO buffer size that you can get away with while avoiding pops or clicks in the recording and playback. If you can't achieve an acceptable driver latency without pops/clicks, then DPC latency might be one of the culprits.

Back