DI Question

4tracker

Would a dedicated DI box improve sim guitar tones?

I've seen DI boxes with tubes and such. How much does this improve a sim? What about the converter?

Right now I'm using a 18i8 as a DI (Instrument level input) and find the amp sim tone brittle. I'm wondering if any of these pieces of gear would help.

The only thing a DI can do for you is maybe present a lower impedance to the guitar which might knock down the resonant peak at the top end enough to take that edge off.

The T knob on your guitar does exactly that. I'm not really trying to say you should go around with your tone half-cocked - though it might be a free and easy fix. What I'm saying is that if you can find a point on the guitar's Tone knob where it really is better, that will tell you that a lower impedance could help, and maybe even give us an idea what that ideal impedance might be. Then you could look for a DI that can give you that load or if you've ever used a soldering iron there's a simple DIY "project" that could cost less than a dollar.

The only thing a DI can do for you is maybe present a lower impedance to the guitar which might knock down the resonant peak at the top end enough to take that edge off.

The T knob on your guitar does exactly that. I'm not really trying to say you should go around with your tone half-cocked - though it might be a free and easy fix. What I'm saying is that if you can find a point on the guitar's Tone knob where it really is better, that will tell you that a lower impedance could help, and maybe even give us an idea what that ideal impedance might be. Then you could look for a DI that can give you that load or if you've ever used a soldering iron there's a simple DIY "project" that could cost less than a dollar.

Thanks ashcat. I will mess with the knobs and see how that plays out thanks for the suggestion.
Are there DI boxes where you can adjust impedance (like more specifically, with a knob instead of just a hi/lo z switch)? I don't understand impedance as much as I should, tbh.

Yes, there are DIs out there with adjustable In-Z. I can't recommend any because I don't bother. All you really need is some resistance in parallel somewhere along the line. You could take a spare guitar cable, unscrew the the plug on one end, tack a resistor between the two conductors, screw it back together and go. What value resistor? Well, that's the question! ;)

Back