dbx 286a pro and audio buddy

Joan

Hi:
I posted this elsewhere and it might have been the wrong place. I recently purchased an audio buddy and dbx 286a pro to work with my 3525 audio technica mic, and have no idea how to set it all up. I also bought headphones, (to plug into the audio buddy) and have Cool Edit. Thanks, guys. I'm so afraid I'll do something to really mess things up, and you've been a great help to me so far. It's amazing how much you learn on this site. Joan

Dude, you really need to hit the newbie forum here at homerecording for a few weeks or so.

Both those things you listed are preamps I believe. So the way to use them is really simple. Plug a mic into an input and plug the output into an input on a recorder or a mixer. If you are going into a mixer be sure to turn the channels preamp gain all the way down and make sure the phantom power on the mixer is off. Then, with the channel fader down or recorder input muted engage the preamps phantom power. That's it! Unmute or bring the channel fader up and adjust the pre gain.

I did that, and got wonderful help, but being technically challenged I expect I'll always be a newbie to some extent. To that end, could you be more specific in your instructions. Like where is this input and do on - do you mean the Audio Buddy...???

And please Joan, stop posting multiple copies of your questions around. It's quite annoying to those of us who surf the whole BBS.

Thanks for the response

Sorry for posting elsewhere. It's the first time I have, and only because I thought I'd posted in the wrong place. My apologies.

Re: Thanks for the response

Joan said:
Sorry for posting elsewhere. It's the first time I have, and only because I thought I'd posted in the wrong place. My apologies.

It's not that big of a deal joan.I think jake woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday.:D....it only gets annoying when the same person does it every day.:eek:

Get OUT of that Cave jake!:D

Geez, that was the nicest I've been to a cross-poster in a while.:(

I wake up on the wrong side of the bed every morning....my side.

No Sound with the new unit - dbx 286A pro

I'm clearly doing something wrong but have no idea what. Need a trouble shooter, please. Also, could someone tell me what number the threshold knob should be turned to on the dbx 286A pro. Thank you. Joan

jake-owa said:
And please Joan, stop posting multiple copies of your questions around. It's quite annoying to those of us who surf the whole BBS.

Hang on a second. I saw her question in the n-Track forum and answered her ttere, but I also suggested she post in a more generic forum since n-track wasn't involved. I think she did the right thing by taking it here.

Now Joan, you didn't post in lots of forums, did you? :eek:

Everythings working, but...

Thanks, guys. Everythings working together fine now, but I'm getting some noise/hum. Note: I've got the dbx plugged into the audio buddy and the audio buddy plugged into the computer, with the gain full. Phantom power turned OFF on the Audio Buddy and ON in the dbx. (Using the 2 together was strongly suggested by a working Voice Over Pro.) The mic is plugged into the dbx. I think with some adjusting of some knobs, I'll have a pretty good sound. There are suggested settings in the manual, but they're pretty loose. Other Suggestions appreciated. Knobs below. Thanks. Joan

Gain preamp knob
Drive knob
Density knob
Frequency knob
Amount knob
LF knob
HF knob
Threshold
Ratio knob
Gain Out

I've taken the audio buddy out

I've taken the audio buddy out, and plugged the dbx into the computer. Still getting hum but not as bad, and low gain. So need to adjust knobs/settings, but will wait for your expert help on this. thanks so much. jaon

Hum/I should add

Even when not playing or recording anything. Just turning on my desktop speakers and there's a hum that wasn't there when I was using the Audio Buddy by itself.

Hum

For others who might experience that awful hum, I went up to radio shack and bought a ground loop isolator. (After a good deal of surfing around the net for info) The hum is gone. Now it's just the 'hiss' I've got to get rid of.

I've got a simmialer problem, my dbx 286A is plugged directly into my computer through 1/4' to USB cable. regardless of if something is plugged into the line input or where the knobs are placed, I get a constant static hum hiss noise. how can I get rid of it?

Back