DaviSound TB-10 V.S/ Mackie CR 1604

VOXVENDOR

I just got my Davisound amp today.... It's a beauty.. By far the best looking piece of gear in my studio...

I checked it out, and did a very quick and rushed A/B test, just to make sure it worked and to measure it's quality...

I spent exactly 5 minutes doing this "test" so im not claiming it to mean anything or be scientific in any way...

Mic: 4033

Recorded a take of vocals with my mackie..... Sounded as good as It usually does... I like it...

Then I tracked the same line with the Davisound.. It was like night and day... The mackie sounded Tinny and thin....

Davisound was crisp and had this nice bottom end that the mackie was lacking..... I don't mean the usual "boxy" bottom end you hear with lower priced Pre's... I mean a nice clean fat bottom end....

So anyways... I was sort of miffed that my Mackie was so lacking, and I was sure the EQ was fucked up or something, I looked at it. and the Strip that the mic was going through had a bit of high and low eq added...

The Davisound was flat.. (there is no eq on the unit)....

Sooooo....... what am I trying to say..??

The Davisound was more fat in the bottom end and defined in the highs, than the mackie was... Even though the Mackie was eq'ed with ADDED bass and highs....

Interesting huh...

As I said... this is my first take.... And by far nowhere near scientific.....

In fact it's sort of silly comparing a 2 channel dedicated Pre to a small mixing board....

But to me it meant alot, cause even though I have been getting along just fine with the Mackie, Im delighted to find something for much less than $1000 that blows it away, and will probably allow me to mix my vocals with no eq (flat)... I always had to add alot of eq with the mackie on mixdown...

Joe

Watch for more including samples

hmm

Don't forget to post some samples..A/B's as inaccurate as they may be with the 2, would be fun also..

Throw an SM57 into it also, for kicks

--Sal

yes, post some samples.

Dont forget, the eq switched in on the mackie could have affected the sound, so dont forget to try the test again with eq off.

I was looking at that davisound when looking for a tube pre, but it said it was of a more clean nature, so I went with the peavey vmp-2.

I'd still like to get my hands on the davisound though. It looks soo cool, and soo big, and hopefully it would sound phat as well.

Hey Vox!!

I hate to bug ya but can you post a little sample soon? I am just about to order one. I'm ordering anyway but it'd be fun to hear since Mackie pres are what I mostly use now....as well as the 4033.

Thanks,

heylow

CyanJaguar,

Yeah, the "Mic-All" pre is completely on the other end of the spectrum next to a VMP-2. But if you're looking for a that "tube/transformer sound", the VMP-2 most definitely fits the bill! I sure wish I didn't get rid of mine! I kick myself now! But in the future, if the timing and price is right, I'm sure one will its way back into my rack again!

Weston

Weston,

How do you like the "Mic-alls?" Have you used them on a lot of different signals? Anything they particularly shine on? How has it worked out without pads?

heylow

Heylow... Just order one.... Im sure you will be delighted....

I haven't any time to do up any samples, and if I did, it wouldn't be helpful...... Especially in MP3 form....

I love my amp, and wouldn't trade or sell it for anything.. it is a beauty! Im sure you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine.....

I think Rec Eng has some samples laying around... ????????

Good Luck!

Joe

TOO LATE!

I already put in an order! A bit of a custom jobber.....the TB-6 with 2 extra pres for instruments. I've been emailing with Mr. Davis and he has been quite helpful and generous so I took the plunge when he offered the modifications for a steal.

I figured like this.....
The worst thing that could possibly happen is that his pres would be no worse than the the current "prosumer" range stuff and would be cheaper pre for pre than an MP20 or whatever.

The best that could happen is I'd end up with some bomb-ass pres for an obscenely low price...I'm guessing this to be the case and I'll certainly post my findings when I get it!

Thanks,

heylow

VOXVENDOR said:
Heylow... Just order one.... Im sure you will be delighted....

and if I did, it wouldn't be helpful...... Especially in MP3 form....

Joe

Why wont a sample be any helpful, especially an mp3?

with all due respect, that reminds me of the guy who spent $8000 on a mic and cant post a sample cos he subconsciously feels that other might not hear the $8000 in the mic.

heylow said:
TOO LATE!

I already put in an order! A bit of a custom jobber.....the TB-6 with 2 extra pres for instruments. I've been emailing with Mr. Davis and he has been quite helpful and generous so I took the plunge when he offered the modifications for a steal.

I figured like this.....
The worst thing that could possibly happen is that his pres would be no worse than the the current "prosumer" range stuff and would be cheaper pre for pre than an MP20 or whatever.

The best that could happen is I'd end up with some bomb-ass pres for an obscenely low price...I'm guessing this to be the case and I'll certainly post my findings when I get it!

Thanks,

heylow

I think you'll be delighted....

CyanJaguar said:

Why wont a sample be any helpful, especially an mp3?

with all due respect, that reminds me of the guy who spent $8000 on a mic and cant post a sample cos he subconsciously feels that other might not hear the $8000 in the mic.

Cyan, When was the last time I even had a Voxvendor song in the MP3 clinic????..I haven't even had time to put my own stuff up let alone samples for other people.... If I were to do it, I would want to do it right, and I just don't have time for it...

And, as for you little theory.... Well, that might happen sometimes, but I assure you it hasn't happened with me, and im a little offended that you think I would conduct myself in such a shifty manner to hide something...

I've been here a long time now, and I think im known for having very strong opinions against gear... If I thought it didn't sound it's worth, I would definately steer people away from it.

quote:
If I were to do it, I would want to do it right, and I just don't have time for it

Vox, I did not mean to offend you, but the truth is that the difference between a great pre and a mackie is minimal. I just finished listening to a u87 through six pres and the differences were hard to pick out.

You dont really need to make a song to let us hear a sample. Just you speaking into your mic should give us a pretty good idea.

what I am saying is that there is nothing like "doing it right" when it comes to a basic sample. If its right, those who will appreciate it will, and those who wont wont.

thanks

CyanJaguar said:

Vox, I did not mean to offend you, but the truth is that the difference between a great pre and a mackie is minimal. I just finished listening to a u87 through six pres and the differences were hard to pick out.

I would be most interested to know which 6 preamps you tried. I would not insult you by casting aspersions on your ears, so perhaps your monitoring system was less than ideal? Another possibility is that perhaps they all had a similar sound or flavor, but that doesn't mean all preamps do.

One of the first things I will do when recording vocalists is audition a few mics AND mic pres to see which best suits their voice. The differences between my API's, Vintechs, Tube Tech, DACS, and Daking are not subtle. Occasionally even startling. I would say even the most untrained ear could hear they were not the same. Certainly the vocalists, who are listening blind, develop extremely strong opinions as to which one(s) they like or don't like.

In addition, certain preamps have loading characteristics which make them match up well with certain mics, although not necessarily the U87.

In my experience, having acquired over twenty channels of high quality preamps over the years, I would be EXTREMELY unhappy if I had to use Mackie preamps on all my tracks. It would be the equivalent of if I had to give away all my mic's and use nothing but a budget dynamic mic for all my tracks.

CyanJaguar said:

You dont really need to make a song to let us hear a sample. Just you speaking into your mic should give us a pretty good idea.

what I am saying is that there is nothing like "doing it right" when it comes to a basic sample. If its right, those who will appreciate it will, and those who wont wont.

thanks [/B]

Cyan, I didn't want to have to explain all of this, but I don't have an MP3 Encoder at the moment, and I don't have time to download one..., get it set up, put a few samples together, and then encode them, and upload to NWR... I mean that does take a little time.... it's not a 2 minute Job......

This computer I chit chat on, is at work... I do it in my spare minutes between jobs and dealing with customers.... Even though it might seem like I have some Idle time.... I don't have any lately....

Last edited:
littledog said:
The differences between my API's, Vintechs, Tube Tech, DACS, and Daking are not subtle. Occasionally even startling.

Damn, Little Dog. I had a feeling you weren't really such a "Little" Dog. :) How is it you get to work with such nice stuff? I might have to nominate you for "Gear Slut of the Year" if you're not careful. :) :) :)

Back