Damaged Tweeter

puffin

I have a pair on Tannoy Reveal active monitors. Recently, a friend managed to push in one of the tweeters while helping me move one while setting up for an on location gig.

I can hear there is a distinct lack of HF in the damaged monitor and anything played through them now sounds 'lopsided' as you'd probably expect.

My question is - can I just open the speaker up an push the tweeter out to it's original position or will I have to get it repaired or have a new tweeter put in? How much does this kind of thing cost?

Any help is appreciated.

no way to repair the tweeter... take it outta the cab and search for manu and mod #... tannoy used to have vifa tweeters in them... a old buddy used to eat a tweeter in his pbm6.5;s once a month...

i used to get them from parts express 10 ata time...

Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking around on the net, but the cheapest I can find a replacement is £49. Fortunately, Tannoy have a factory in Scotland, So I'm going to try and get some help there.

The replacement tweeter on Studiospares is shown with the mounting plate also. I thought it would just be a case of replacing the small piece of material. I guess not.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

I had that happen on a my old set of alesis, the soft dome was pushed in. I called the repair shop and thy said to try a vaccum cleaner attchment to suck it back out? it worked and no prob since then???

I had that happen on a my old set of alesis, the soft dome was pushed in. I called the repair shop and thy said to try a vaccum cleaner attchment to suck it back out? it worked and no prob since then???

nice try... the fact that nothing comes from it at all now indicates the windings are either scraping against the gap or broken altogether so not likely... spin again vanna...

Is their a cheaper replacement other then the factory brand that might be comparable to the original?

not if ya want the 2 of them to sound alike... guess ya could replace both.... but i would go for the original... he shouldn't have to replace that baffle/plate it's mounted to... with some rearch he can get this down... look for the manuf and part# the find the part... he's accross the pond so not sure where over there... here parts express used to carry the ones i mentioned earlier...

I had the exact same problem.

After reading this thread I got desperate, and used a fine sewing needle to pull the right side of the tweeter out.

After the right side came out, the other side slowly came out by itself!

The high end recovered completely - no harm done. :D

Back