Daking Preamp or.... ?

mattkw80

My wife does not know....

...but if you had to choose would you guys buy a Daking Mic Pre IV, or Central Air for your house ?

Keeping in mind, that my studio is in a basement, is quite cool, and I don't really care if I ever go in any other rooms of my house besides my studio.

Of course, getting caught having bought a $2000 Preamp, after having talked the wife OUT of $1200 central air could be disasterous....

...what would you guy do ? :D

If it's as hot where you are as it is around here, get the air conditioning.

It gets rid of the humidity that will eventually eat your equipment.
It keeps your wife cool, which would probably make her a little more docile.
It also raises the resale value of your house, so you can take out a home equity loan to buy even more gear.

Think to the future.

My wife does not know....

...but if you had to choose would you guys buy a Daking Mic Pre IV, or Central Air for your house ?

Keeping in mind, that my studio is in a basement, is quite cool, and I don't really care if I ever go in any other rooms of my house besides my studio.

Of course, getting caught having bought a $2000 Preamp, after having talked the wife OUT of $1200 central air could be disasterous....

...what would you guy do ? :D

You are treading some thin ice here...I mean rice paper thin...:eek:

I get the lust for the Daking, really I do. But you gotta keep everything in context to keep it flowing...

We are going on a vacation in a couple weeks--and it's costing more than I wanted to spend. But it means a lot to her. So even as I moan about the tight cash flow for a couple months, the next gear purchases will have some context: in other words, "I'm thinking about you too, dear."

Good luck with whatever path you choose... :D

Yeah it is hot here... Southern Ontario is actually just about in line with Northern California, so, we've been having some 30 C days here.

It's funny because alot of other gear freaks like myself on this BBS would also probably consider one over the other.... but could you imagine if I showed my wife the Daking..... a 19" 1 RAck Unit little box...... and said :

"We're not getting Central Air, because I bought this 19" box like thing.... but it's all worth while because now my mics sound awesome".

haha - wow.

If mama's not happy, no one in the house will ever be happy. C'mon, you know that. What are you thinkin' boy? Someone slap him right now.

If mama's not happy, no one in the house will ever be happy. C'mon, you know that. What are you thinkin' boy? Someone slap him right now.

I tried to agree with this emphatically. Here's what happened:

Attachments

• gz_rep.jpg
    gz_rep.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 107
haha... yeah it's true.

Which Daking we're you looking at White Strat?

(You mentioned above that you we're 'lusting' for Daking)

I'm sorry--I didn't say exactly what I menat. I just meant I can relate to the lust--not the lust for that particular item. But I can so perfectly relate! :D

I'm not lusting for any wicked pres right now (well, let's say I'm not allowing myself to) so I'm not familiar w/the Dakings.

If it's as hot where you are as it is around here, get the air conditioning.

It gets rid of the humidity that will eventually eat your equipment.
It keeps your wife cool, which would probably make her a little more docile.
It also raises the resale value of your house, so you can take out a home equity loan to buy even more gear.

Think to the future.

Here is a man who's thinking!

Central Air is an old 1970's design. Its deemed one of the most ineffitcient designs ever, with the tubes in the 145deg attic needing to constantly be cooled. It was designed in a day when energy hadn't met Enron types.

Get a good window efficient unit and a Pre-amp.

Window units are cheap, they have improved dramatically using low amps and are programmable and keep the room you want cool cool (not the attic and 500yards of hot duct work).

and you get both of best worlds. a cool room to fuck in and a preamp to fuck around with.

Central Air is an old 1970's design. Its deemed one of the most ineffitcient designs ever, with the tubes in the 145deg attic needing to constantly be cooled. It was designed in a day when energy hadn't met Enron types.

Get a good window efficient unit and a Pre-amp.

Window units are cheap, they have improved dramatically using low amps and are programmable and keep the room you want cool cool (not the attic and 500yards of hot duct work).

and you get both of best worlds. a cool room to fuck in and a preamp to fuck around with.

haha - Coolcat is the man.

And I think your right.... yesterday I threw a "99 cent" Walmart Air Conditioner in the upstairs windows..... somehow..... it's affecting the whole house.... which is pretty crazy.....

My basement studio is ALWAYS cool, so to torment my wife, I was acting like I was not too worried about the rest of the house.... but..... that 1 window unit seems to be doing the trick !!

So Coolcat.... are you basically saying...... NEVER get central air ?

Is it not efficient at some point, maybe depending on the size of a house ?

So Coolcat.... are you basically saying...... NEVER get central air ?

Is it not efficient at some point, maybe depending on the size of a house ?

think of it and it makes sense to have separate "intelligent" temp controlled units, to have them automatically turn on/off/reduce power when no ones there, separate timers etc. You could do a few $100 units...most are remote controlled too...pretty cool. the new energy saving units anyway.

Central air is 1970's. It cools the entire house whether someone is in it or not. It doesn't know anything, but to run full speed or shutoff. There are some new improvements...but its just an inefficient and an old design based off cheap energy prices and yards and yards of cheap half ass insulated tubing most the time. Most units are in the frkn attic baking at 145deg...it makes me laugh really...like putting a fhkng ice maker in the attic?

I started this thread as a joke (although the situation is exaclty as I descrbed it) but glad you stopped by Coolcat.

You are completely correct.

The $100 unit I've got is getting us through.... I add one more, and that settles it.... just saved $1000.

I don't know what it will translate to it energy bills (more, or less?) but I am guessing, it will be less, because as you said, 2 seperate controls, depending on the room.

Wow.... EQ, Compression, Domestic priorities and Central Air..... is there anything you CAN'T learn at homerecording.com ?

Back