Control Surfaces

trader941

I am currently building a studio, and I would like to put together some kind of mixing/mastering service. If i were to do this, i think using a control surface would increase my efficiency by a lot.

I want something that is fairly cheap, although I do have some money to spend on it. I was thinking less than $1000, but cheaper is better as long as it works. The main thing i want is expandability. I need at least 8 channels (faders) to start, and i want the ability to expand to at least 24 channels.

I use Reaper as my DAW right now, although I would be happy to change to something else.

I don't need automation on the faders, because whatever daw i use needs to have the automation built into it (so as i change it around, it will remember it anyway).

I am fairly clueless as far as these Control Surfaces go, so I could use whatever advice I can get.

Thanks

A good cheap control surface is the behringer bcf2000 one of the only great behringer product. Used these can be found just over a $100. They come with motorized faders and many other functions. I currently use mine with Logic 9 but I would check its functionality with Reason.
Matt

i did see the behringer, i like the fact that it has 100mm faders.

I do want to know, is it expandable? 8 channels is often enough for me, but 16 or 24 would be nice for some larger productions.

It's price is really nice though :).

Another thing, if it can't be expanded, is there a button i can program to switch from channels 1-8 from 9-16, ext?

Another question, would it work with protools? I think i should probably get that if i want to do mastering projects, because it is kind of the "standard"

I use a PC, sorry mac people, would it be compatible to that?

Thanks

i did see the behringer, i like the fact that it has 100mm faders.

I do want to know, is it expandable? 8 channels is often enough for me, but 16 or 24 would be nice for some larger productions.

It's price is really nice though :).

Another thing, if it can't be expanded, is there a button i can program to switch from channels 1-8 from 9-16, ext?

Another question, would it work with protools? I think i should probably get that if i want to do mastering projects, because it is kind of the "standard"

I use a PC, sorry mac people, would it be compatible to that?

Thanks

I don't have a bcf2000, but I'm thinking about, so I've checked them out.

Yep. You can switch it from 1-8 to 9-16, etc. You can also chain them together. I've talked with a guy whose using 3 daisy chained as a 24 channel control surface. That's the route I'm thinking of going.

1. It wont work with protools
2. Its is expandable you can daisy chain more than one together. If you only have one there is a bank select so you can cycle through 8 channels at a time. There aren't presets for them in DAW's but if you use a Logic Control preset it works flawlessly atleast thats the preset I use in Logic 9.

well, if it wouldn't work for protools, would it work with reaper, i use that now, and i'm fairly comfortable with it.

Back