Computer vs. 4-track vs. Minidisk

Happenstance

I have about a grand to spend on my recording device. Now, I always assumed that I would get a 4-track. I got a message on these boards telling me to look into Minidisks, and am now seriously interested in that. Finally, I am beginning to wonder if I can't take my 300mhz Dell and make it do everything the other media can (for instance, with Cakewalk).

Can I get some expert advice? A well-thought-out opinion? A flippant remark?

Thanks,

Matt

I suggest using the search facility here on terms like minidisc, minidisk, computer, sound card, digital audio as all this has been discussed in great detail. I don't think you could duplicate a minidisc multitrack for $1000 but for $1500 you might get a 8-track digital computer-based thing that burns CDs and has effects built in...if you already have a computer, of course, it's no problem at all!

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 06-23-1999).]

When you say it would be no problem, what do you mean? Does the $1500 include a new computer? I DO have comp. already. A bit confused here.

Thanks...

Matt

Sorry, chalk it up to Red Tail Ale... :)

I meant that doing the whole thing would be possible for $1500, but will be very simple for you since you already have the computer, which is the biggest part.

Just off the toppa my somewhat swacked-out head (prices are way approximate):

AARK Direct (Pro?) or Gina or something: $450
CD-R if you ain't already got one: $250
Cakewalk/Cubase: $350 or n-track: $40 (your choice)
Sound Forge XP: $50
some money left over for cool plugins...

Your and my brain both man.

This gives me some directions to start investigating in. Let me ask you one more question.... think you'd go for the computer route, if you were me?

Thanks alot,

Matt

COMPUTER ROUTE IN A HEARTBEAT! Drop $600 on a gadgetlabs 8/24, another $80 on a copy of n-track studio and it's compressor and eq plugins, (it comes with reverb, chorus and a few others standard) and spend the rest on some good mics. You'll instantly have an 8 track digital computer based studio that you'll be way proud to own. If you do any sequencing, invest in an older copy of cakewalk or something because n-track can treat midi 1 format files like standard tracks. FLAVIO IS THE MAN...
Nathan

Back