Complete newbie soundboard recording question - Allen and Heath GL2400

Smedley

I've been tasked with looking at a soundboard setup that we're having issues with (Allen and Heath GL2400). We're trying to record a microphone feed (sermon) to a video camera. The current setup has the video camera connected to the DIRECT OUT of the same channel that the microphone is feeding in to (11). The result is that, while the sound sounds fine to the speakers in the venue, the video camera recording is distorted (overmodulated?).
I'm thinking that the video camera shouldn't be connected to the DIRECT OUT of that channel and wondering what the correct set up is. Is it that the DIRECT OUT of that channel jumpers to the EXT IN 1 in the Matrix and then the video camera connects to MTX 1 or MONITOR OUT? Then the modulation settings to the camera can be controlled separately?
Appreciate in advance the help and education.
Thanks much.

You may have a line level out connected to a microphone level input on the camera. Has the camera got a line level input?

Alan.

I'm picking up the camera at the end of the week so I'll know more about it then but I believe it is just a microphone in on the video camera. It's just a basic hand held video camera. My assumption is that if it is a microphone in, I need to control the input level to the camera from the soundboard. Thanks in advance.

A microphone in will never work 100%, below is lifted from the Shure web site:

Microphone level is in the region of -60 dBV (0.001 volt) to -40 dBV (0.010 volt).
Line level is in the region of 0 dBV (1.000 volt).

So as you can see there is a big mismatch and the line level is overdriving the mic input of the camera. The only way you may be able to get a reasonable signal is to connect the camera to one of the aux outs of the console and run the aux out volume very low, you can then do this without effecting the PA system. Remember the only thing being recorded will be the channels where you feed that particular aux to the camera.

Using the channel direct out is wrong anyway as you have no control over the level to the camera without changing the volume on the PA system.

Alan.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw how they had it set up. The camera only needs to record a single microphone so that won't be an issue. And you're right about being able to adjust as it is now. They were fooling with the channel settings for that input to try to correct the over-modulation to the camera. I didn't think that would work and connected a personal recorder, fooled with the settings and confirmed that no matter what you did at the channel it didn't impact what was being being sent to the recorder.

Back