Closet guitar case rack

relaxandreflect

I am not great with tools, but I had an idea to store all my guitars in their cases in the closet. I need some advice on how to put this all together, like how to mount it into the closet. I was thinking of making a small riser slanted down to the wall like the little shelves for shoes with some kind of rubber mat or protection glued to the top. Then taking a 2x4 or something across the wall for the case to rest on and maybe have a rubber bumper or something to prevent wall scratching. Then put some large dowels (pref rubber covered) angled in the 2x4 to keep the cases upright.

If anyone has any ideas, comments, or suggestions of how to make this better or things i'm doing wrong or need to know, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I do not have a lot of experience building things, and may miss some things.

Does anyone know where i could find the following?

Plans for a wooden shoe holder to see how they attach
Rubber dowels or rubber dowel covers
Rubber mat for base

Hey R&R, if you don't get any bites here you might try posting you question in the "Studio Building and Display" forum. There are a lot of really creative do-it-yourselfers in that forum who would probably enjoy kicking this idea around. In fact, I seem to recall a thread from a while back on the topic of building a humidified guitar cabinet. Don't remember which forum, though. Try running a search on that topic if you're interested. Not exactly what you have in mind, I know, but it could trigger some new ideas.

i am curious as to 2 things...
1. so you want to build a rack? for your cases?
2. you also want to protect your closet wall paint from being damaged?

i paint a house or two on occasion (interior) and most ppl really dont care what their closet paint looks like (unless you spend a lot of time in there?)

personally i just stack all my cases in the corner...

but the guitars i want revelaed (ie.. my nice ones) ... get the feature position on the guitar hangers (plus, i've heard this helps keep the necks straight) ...

gl

Back