cheap studio headphones

kaminari13

I´m on a budget shopping for a band i`m recording next week and need 4 pairs
of headphones ,i know they´re gonna be super loud so... i need cheap cans that can take a massive signal without distorting to hell ,i´m looking at fostex t-40s (i cant get t50s here in germany)and behringer(much hated firm)hps5000s.
which is more important?db or mw rating can anyone explain the difference or recomend a solution?

danny.guitar said:
I just recently ordered a pair of those, still waiting for them to get here. Never knew they sold by Harvey Gerst. :cool:
If you bought them directly from me, you should have them by now.

And I don't just sell them; I own the company.

I don't usually talk about them here, and I don't include links or have a sig, since that's not why I'm here. I offer them as a decent alternative to high priced tracking phones, but I don't give a damn whether anybody here buys them or not.

If I find something as good at the price, I'll be the first one to tell everybody.

(As a matter of fact, I did just that a year or two ago, here, when Musician's Friend had a sale on their mic holders, and I recommended that people here should buy them from MF, since they were selling below what I sold them for.)

Last edited:
I'd go with Sennheiser HD202's

I'd vote for the Sennheiser HD202 - you can get five of them for $89 through BSW :

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=HD202PKG

I bought this package about a year and a half ago, and they;re great cans for the price. Very comfortable, accurate, efficient, clean, lightweight, they stay on yer melon even if you're wiggling around, they have a LONG cable, and have a stereo mini plug and stereo 1/4" plug. They're pretty rugged too - mine have taken several falls onto a concrete floor with no problems (dang drummers!) BSW is a good outfit too (nice people), and ship quickly.

Random question for you, Harvey - any idea how much isolation your phones have? Say, compared to HD280s or 7506s? Just curious. Thanks!

I have several sets of Sennheiser HD280's, which work very well for me. However, I got into a radio play that requires a boatload of live mics with tons of headphone distribution, so I bought several sets of More Me's because I needed a bunch of cheap cans. I've had no problem with them whatsoever. I don't find them particularly comfortable, and they don't sound that good, but they are rugged, reliable, and they don't bleed much. They do exactly what I bought them for. I haven't measured the actual attenuation, but my subjective impression is that the Sennheisers beat them a little on the isolation factor, along with pretty much every other set of cans I've tried, including SONY, Beyerdynamic, and Extreme Isolation. So for almost everything , I use the HD280's, but when I just need more cans, I whip out More Me's, and they work just fine. There are a few people also, that find the Sennheisers too tight, and they get along fine with the More Me's. Different strokes-Richie

Nuther vote for the MoreMe cans.

I bought a pair, upon the recommendation from the users here....they're easily the best bang-for-buck tracking cans.
I use them for tracking drums! Work great!

If you're looking for a real budget isolation solution, get a pair of sony earbud style headphones and strap on a pair of industrial strength ear muffs.

That's what I use, and when I'm finished tracking drums I can take the muffs outside and go diving...errr I mean do the lawns :D

apl said:
Consider More Me from Harvey Gerst http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html
harvey gerst said:
And I don't just sell them; I own the company.
harvey gerst said:
And Front End Audio is running a 5 headphone MoreMe special for $80 at:
harvey gerst said:
And Mercenary Audio is running a 5 for 4 deal as well.
harvey gerst said:
Thanks for your order.
Please drive up to the first window.
Would you like headphones with that?
Oh, now I see!
The Tag Team loophole.

Last edited:
In all fairness, some of my responses were in direct response to some specific questions people had. But I always seem to get in trouble here around Christmas time.

ok, everyone leave Harvey alone. he's the bestest of good folks (i don't think they make folks any better), and we all know he doesn't make more than a nickel or so off these cans. so cut the brother some slack. he's doing us ALL a favor.

i've got 5 pairs of more me's and they're just like Richie said......not overly comfortable, not overly great to listen to, and they isolate quite well. they're perfect for a band tracking live, which is what i use em for. i've not heard a single complaint.

for "critical listening" where isolation is required--keeper vocal takes, etc., i use a pair of sennheiser hd280's. for secondary evaluation of mixes, etc., where isolation is not required, i use a pair of sennheiser hd580's, which are open.

cheers,
wade

Back