Cheap Sennheiser headphones

noisedude

So I had £30 left over after rent this month and after a couple of sets of guitar strings that left me £20 to get rid of. Just out of curiosity, as much as anything else, I bought some Sennheiser HD202s. Anyway, I just wanted to say for the benefit of those searching the site for specific models (as I do frequently) that these are very very good for the money and (by my comparison at least) much better than the Behringer HPM3000 phones which are the same price.

The leak is not loads, and they're tight enough on your head to reduce a lot of it. Obviously they're not amazing in this department and if you need cheap tracking phones you should look up Harvey's MoreMe sets.

Yeah I know these're made in China etc etc, but they are really rather good for the money, and a 2-year warranty says I don't have to shell out again when the rather thinly shielded cord gets a rough connection in 18-months time.

They've gotta be about $30 dollars for those of you no longer abiding by the queen's currency, so they're definitely worth a look for all-purpose nice sounding phones.

Thanks!

Hey noisedude, funny you should say that. I bought three pairs the other week for the rest of the band, for some tracking we have just started. We had the singer set up to do a guide vocal while the rest of the band laid it down, and on playback you could hear the metronome click from hers onto the NTK.

I have the 202s. I'm on my second set because those cords going into the cans ARE delicate.
The 202 is definately a decent piece, pretty comfortable. The lows could be tighter and it sounds more hifi than flat but what can you expect for €27,50. A lot better than the utter garbage that the cheap Behringers are.

Garry - if you're talking about the Senns, yeah like I said they're not really meant for or capable of great isolation for tracking. I would have been getting some of Harvey's, but he said he couldn't deliver in person to the UK. Some crappy kinda service :D ;) :mad:

Christiaan - you made all my points in about a fifth of the space. Thank you for being so concisely correct!

Dude - Yes, shame we can't get the moreme's here. Perhaps we should go into biz together, buy a bulk order off Harvey and be his European distributor.:)

That's a good idea. Or he could supply us the phones and then having sold them we give him his, er 10%?

It sounds like a good idea though, a potentially profitable way of getting some sets of our own..?

WoW! those MoreMes look pretty sweet for $20. Ive been using AKG K55 (what I pass out to bands, not for me) and they've lasted a few years, but I dont know how. They always felt kinda delicate to me. Sound crappy too. I put that link in my favorites folder for when my akgs give it up.

Garry Sharp said:
Dude - Yes, shame we can't get the moreme's here. Perhaps we should go into biz together, buy a bulk order off Harvey and be his European distributor.:)
Hey, I'll ship MoreMe's to England - I just can't "deliver them in person", as much as I'd love to visit England again. You'll hafta add a few bucks for the extra shipping costs, but I ship there all the time. (Just shipped an order to Sweden this morning.)

WTH??? You don't deliver in person to Europe and you call that service????:mad: :eek: :eek: :( :D

Ok, but seriously, how do you do it cos I started an order ages ago and it didn't seem to have an option for foreign deliver on the paysite.

noisedude said:
WTH??? You don't deliver in person to Europe and you call that service????:mad: :eek: :eek: :( :D

Ok, but seriously, how do you do it cos I started an order ages ago and it didn't seem to have an option for foreign deliver on the paysite.
And I won't deliver in Europe till somebody over there figures out how to make a decent hamburger!!! :mad:

As I recall, it works out right if you add about $5 extra for the additional airmail postage. Just order a couple of extra mic clips and put a note in the "comments" box that the price of the two mic clips are to cover the extra postage. (Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to change much with the order size; it's always around $5 extra.)

The Paypal code on my website (which I got directly from Paypal) is really flakey, but I'll see if I can add a box that will let you add foreign Postage automatically.

Ok I'll check back next month when I might be able to afford it. If they're fair with the exchange rates it should be quite a good time to buy! But your economy is for another thread!

noisedude said:
Ok I'll check back next month when I might be able to afford it. If they're fair with the exchange rates it should be quite a good time to buy! But your economy is for another thread!
With most of the people here that I know, it isn't necessary to wait if you're pretty sure you want them. By regular mail, it'll take about 4 weeks to get there anyway, so just go ahead and order them by emailing me with your order and shipping address (to: hargerst@airmail.net), and then pay for them when you can afford it.

I know it's a weird way to run a business, but I trust the people here. Crazy Americans, huh? Go figure.

It's a gent's way to run a business and I see nothing to suggest that's not what you are!

I'll read up on my overdraft and your website and email you when I know what I want.

Just be careful with taxes. If the value of merchandise goes over €22,- (may vary from country to country) chances are you'll be paying a premium to get it through customs. Unless it's shipped as a 'gift', then it's €45,-.
But then again, a package sent to me across the pond in december, worth $200 (sent as gift) slipped through. I guess I was lucky.

Well Harvey's gonna ship before I pay so if that ain't a gift .... !

But seriously, how do I find out that kinda stuff so I know beforehand if I'm gonna get stung?

Of course, Harvey could just confess his huge profit margin and declare them to be worth less than €22!!!!

noisedude said:
Well Harvey's gonna ship before I pay so if that ain't a gift .... !

But seriously, how do I find out that kinda stuff so I know beforehand if I'm gonna get stung?

Of course, Harvey could just confess his huge profit margin and declare them to be worth less than €22!!!!
Actually, that's kinda what I do when I ship international. On the customs form, I just put a pretty low value.

That's great, thank you both. Harvey, I will email you in relatively near future. I have a few lean weeks because my car just needed a tonne of work, but as soon as I know I can pay you I'll email!

How good is the isolation on them? Will I be able to do drum mic placement with either pair?

On a side-note, just read the Sennheiser warranty, and it doesn't include this crappy thin wire on them, so I retract everything good I've said up to this point about them :mad:

noisedude said:
That's great, thank you both. Harvey, I will email you in relatively near future. I have a few lean weeks because my car just needed a tonne of work, but as soon as I know I can pay you I'll email!

How good is the isolation on them? Will I be able to do drum mic placement with either pair?

On a side-note, just read the Sennheiser warranty, and it doesn't include this crappy thin wire on them, so I retract everything good I've said up to this point about them :mad:
I'm not sure that I'd use ANY headphones for mic placement. I usually have somebody else move the mics while I'm in the control room, listening on speakers I can trust. For tracking, they have very good isolation.

Our warranty (http://moreme.info) is pretty straightforward; if they break for any reason during the first 6 months, will replace them for a $5 shipping charge. After that, we'll replace the standards for $5, plus $5 shipping (the Deluxe for $10 plus $5 shipping).

Back