(Cheap) Preamp Suggestions?

KeithG

I finally got the recording process down on my TASCAM DP-02CF and now I really understand why so many people say "trust me you'll need a preamp." My signal levels are always low when I"m bouncing and recording multiple tracks. Does anyone have any suggestions for an EXTREMELY low budget preamp ($250 and under)?

I think in the used market (maybe new) you could find an ART ProChannel or an M-Audio Tampa. Both will do ya fine.

The ART gets a little dirtier (I swapped the tube in mine)
The Tampa is cleaner and has a good compressor.

my thots... :p

Id probubly go ahead and use the Tascam preamps before Id use the M-audio piece...I wouldnt think you would be gaining anything there...Id use something with coax outs if the unit has coax in....that way you can add a couple of mics you couldnt before.

If you are looking for a sonic improvement in pre's you should use the Line6 UX2...and they have a coax out at that same price point.

I finally got the recording process down on my TASCAM DP-02CF and now I really understand why so many people say "trust me you'll need a preamp." My signal levels are always low when I"m bouncing and recording multiple tracks. Does anyone have any suggestions for an EXTREMELY low budget preamp ($250 and under)?
Another vote for the DMP3. The PreSonus crap is - well, crap. Same with most of the ART stuff also. The DMP3 is one of the only truly decent "amazingly inexpensive" pieces out there that's worth a hoot.

THAT SAID: Your preamp has very little to do with levels being low** when you're mixing tracks. Unless you're not using a preamp and you're trying to run a microphone into a line-level input...

** "Low" like -50dBFS - Not "maybe just a touch below normal" like -20dBFS.

The Tampa and DMP3 are good recommendations.

If you could save up to $299 you could get a Golden Age Projects PRE-73 which would be my first choice!

Back