CD Burners

Noah Nelson

My new apple comp does not have a cd burner in it, i am lookinf for an external cd burner where over a years time i will have burned about 300-500 cds. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Does anybody also have a recommendation for CD Art printers? labels? What do you use?

I never heard of a modern computer that didn't have a CD burner included these days!
That's a lot of burned discs, are these all one-offs? You might do better with a duplicator. I don't recommend stick-on labels at all. The adhesive will eventually eat into the disc, the labels will start coming off, potentially jamming up the tray mechanism, etc.

Any CD burner will do -- they're commodity items now. I use an Epson Artisan 50 for printing labels on CDs. It's cheap and does a nice job.

I wouldn't recommend a WiFi burner... A buffer underrun would be "fatal" to the disc (well, even if wired in). But I wouldn't trust a data stream on WiFi if you're burning a quantity...

Plextor, Sony, Phillips... Buy cheap, buy twice.

I wouldn't recommend a WiFi burner... A buffer underrun would be "fatal" to the disc (well, even if wired in). But I wouldn't trust a data stream on WiFi if you're burning a quantity...

Plextor, Sony, Phillips... Buy cheap, buy twice.
Those were my thoughts, too. An external CD burner can be had for $20-30. Price notwithstanding, a wifi burner is going to need a proprietary driver and, given the nature of the wifi spec, would have difficulty maintaining a high streaming speed that would make it anywhere near as fast as a wired burner.

A USB external burner is portable, standardized and easily transported where needed.

I never heard of a modern computer that didn't have a CD burner included these days!

It's a mac thing, sigh! the mac on my desk at work does not have a burner.

Note, I use PC's in the studio, a mac at work. I know the good and bad of both.

Alan.

The wifi one I linked is attachable by USB as well, I think. I was just thinking of future use (perhaps by other Macs without DVD readers, etc.) and portability. Of course, if the wifi ones available now don't pass muster as a burner overall, then that wouldn't be a good idea!

Back