Carvin SL 24 8 bus mixer info anyone?

Noisehead

Hello,

I've the opportunity to pick up a Carvin SL 24x8 mixer for around $400 and was wondering if it was a good deal. I'll be using it for recording (my setup is 8bus into a delta1010 dual purpose live room mics and electronic music). I'm replacing a Mackie 24x8 that has been acting up... I've just gotten tired of dealing with the issues with this mixer. Nothing against Mackie; I have a 1604 that been around for almost 10yrs without a single issue. I believe it's just the analog 8 buss mixers being flaky.

ANYWAY, I'd be interested to hear any information or reviews on this Carvin mixer and whether it's worth the money.

Thanks and best regards,
-Nh

I have an mx1608 and it's an older 16 channel 8 buss mixer and it's a true sleeper! I bought it from a friend and he has a q1604......another sleeper!
I've heard the sl series is good but maybe not as good as these older units?
check out the carvin museum..........there was some postings on them
If you use alot of channel eq the sl series would be better as these older units are only 3 band eq. With the economy if it's just the mixer and no roadcase i would try to talk them down to 300-350 if you like the mixer.
i think that would be a fair price.
hope that helps..........wish i could see one in person.
if you get it, please let me know how it works out for you

cheers for the info Purerad! I'm going to put it through its paces this weekend (taking a little PA, mic, ipod and patches to test as much of it as i can). Will post how it goes. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worse.;)

how did it turn out? I'm just curious to find out as i've heard different views on the sl series..............thanks

So I went to check it out and we couldn't get a signal through the board. Something was definitely up with it. Weird fluttering lights on the meter bridge. Seemed like a power issue... but that's just a guess. The owner said he'd take the board to a local tech to see what was up. I got a message from him a couple days ago but haven't gotten back to him yet. To be honest it worries me coming away from 2 flaky 24x8 mixers don't want another for sure. With the money spent on bad boards I could have purchased a nice one. Wondering if I should cut my loses and just step up to the plate.:(

Online today I saw an old Allen&Heath System 8 MkIII for under $1k. I'm doing some research on it now...

Yes, I'd definatley be worried about a board that's flakey........
I'd wouldn't say all are flakey, there's some really good boards out there but unfortunely things do age. Keep looking and hopefully you'll find what u need. To bad this one didn't work out. Was kinda interested on how it was.
Thanks for the report back!

Back