Can you ID these monitors?

gac

3231fbm_20.jpeg

Someone is selling these on kijiji and they look interesting, but I cant figure out the model and the seller doesn't seem to know either. The only thing they reveal is that they are 100 W. Any ideas on what they might be?

Last edited:
dont recognize them but owner must be an idiot as theres a name plate on the bottom front... looks like big boom mid-fi to me...

Realistic was just rebadged pioneer gear...it wasnt bad consumer gear...but you couldnt dicker with a radio shack salesman...so I guess they were more expensive.

Realistic was just rebadged pioneer gear...it wasnt bad consumer gear...but you couldnt dicker with a radio shack salesman...so I guess they were more expensive.
Pioneer ? ...... really?

That explains why I had some Realistic stuff that was ok.

Yup, those are Realistic. Not a bad pair of hifi speakers...I owned that very set back in the 80's. Good bass, decent mids and highs, and cheaper 'n hell to fix if you blow a tweet. :cool:

Ummm not so much. From 1977 to 1990, there were two major manufacturers: Sunwood (from Asia) and Tandy Speakers. While Sunwood did have better cabinets (finish-wise) and attention to details, the US made speakers from Tandy Speakers were always superior in sound and acoustical replication. The US speakers were produced mostly in Fort Worth, TX. Tandy Electronics had two operations: Tandy Speakers and later Tandy Cabinets. Many years (after 1990) later after Tandy bought O'Sullivan Industries; some were built in the O'Sullivan operations in Virginia and Missouri.

Hey, thanks you guys!

The problem was that I couldn't get in touch with the seller, and they didn't note what the model was on their listing.

I'm going to call them up and go check them out in person, but I am really a newbie when it comes to this stuff and didn't want to go into an uncomfortable situation with no information.

Yup, those are Realistic. Not a bad pair of hifi speakers...I owned that very set back in the 80's. Good bass, decent mids and highs, and cheaper 'n hell to fix if you blow a tweet. :cool:

Awesome! I think I will go ahead and purchase them thanks to your input. Do you know when this model was made?

Awesome! I think I will go ahead and purchase them thanks to your input. Do you know when this model was made?
They were first seen around 1978. I bought mine new in the summer of 1984. The model name is Optimus T-100.

Back