Buying gear in China and Japan

Louie Louie

Hello lads,

I am traveling to China and Japan in April/May. I was wondering which kind of equipment is worthy to buy in this trip. Currently, I have a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 as audio interface, a Behringer C1 as mic, a Gretsch G5425 Electromatic as guitar, and a Golden Bass Guitar. I have preference for guitar gear (tuners, bridges, pick-ups, straplocks, or even new guitars, maybe a semi-hollow or hollow, or a nice acoustic) or studio equipment (headphones, reference monitors, new audio interfaces, mics etc.).

What you guys think? There are things that are worthy to buy in China or Japan?

Cheers!

Considering most of the stuff these days COMES from there, I doubt it'll be especially tough to find whatever you want there.

Considering most of the stuff these days COMES from there, I doubt it'll be especially tough to find whatever you want there.

Yeah mate, I though so. But I was wondering what kind of equipment they make that is specially good. Like, Fender has chinese factories, but the American made are way better. Nevertheless, Gretsch has a factory in Japan and Japanese factories are known for their high quality. I was wondering if there are equipments that are renowned for their "made in China" or "made in Japan" qualitity. D'ya know what I mean?

Guitar-wise, I really don't.

I mean a Chinese Fender sounds like a guitar, and an American Fender sounds like, well, a guitar. So guitar-wise, I never was able to figure out the reality behind all the controversy. I've got a nice Chinese Les Paul knockoff and it plays and sounds fine to me... but it sounds like guitar. And by the time it runs through a pedalboard, which everyone does, then it sounds nothing like the original signal, anyway.

Behringer is made in China. I like Behringer just fine -- if nothing else but to tweak the nose of the "hate-Behringer" crowd.
All kinds of electronics and effects are of Pacific Rim origin. But instruments? Hey, you can buy a China-made trumpet. I'm not involved enough to get into that esoteric debate, but it sounds just like a trumpet to me. And I don't see how there can hardly be a quantifiable difference beyond superstition. Superstition is very big medicine among buyers of music gear.

People like Takamine have never yet made their stuff stateside. So if you like them.. or, say, Ibanez... then everything is fine.

Years ago, I sold an Odyssey to a fellow in Oz that paid something like $375 for the *shipping* alone. He had to have it. Glad for him. So if you're situated in Asia, all your familiar US names are now *imported* gear. And if you want imported gear, you gotta pay for it just like they do. And even if someone say that this Jing-Chow Special sounds "just like a Fender" they can't possibly ALL sound like a Fender because even Fenders don't all sound the same.

Personally, i don't see the draw, but i've been a synthesist for decades and don't get wrapped up in brand names. I did, once upon a time. But never again.

I think like you mate. And I use both, Behringer audio interface and mic. Here in my country instruments and audio equipment are really expensive. We have a very mean tax policy. That is why I want to use that trip to buy nice equipment. But I agree with you. I am probably just going to walk through the music stores and see what is nice to buy.

Back