building studio

tarandkorn

hello,
I'm thinking very hard on building a recording studio at my house, I have plenty of room for live recording and everything. I need to know what my best bet would be for gear. I want it to be all digital, and at least 16 tracks. I just need info on what mixers, rack systems, monitors, mic's, and the main recording system. thanks

HI,
Im brand new here but Ill give you my opinion. The core system is the most
important to me. A fast computer with a good
digital card or multi channel system like
motu or something similar. If money is a
concern you can borrow mikes or mixers but you cant borrow a core system.
As far as mikes you need a good studio condenser mike.I have a at4050/sm and I like it. The neumann tlm 103 looks like a good mike also.
I have a mackie 1604 vlz mixer but its not digital. I have seen the yamaha 01v digital
mixer. It has 24 inputs which includes 16
analog and you can hook it directly to your
computer system.
I dont have monitors persay. I have a good
set of digital headphones and mix with
"fresh ears". then I just take it to tape
and play it on different systems like my home
stereo and tape deck in my car. It sounds a
little different on each system. I would save
your money and opt for outboard gear first.
But if its not a problem Its worth getting
a good set of monitors.
The core system is #1. Check out www.motu.com
or digidesign.

HI,
Im brand new here but Ill give you my opinion. The core system is the most
important to me. A fast computer with a good
digital card or multi channel system like
motu or something similar. If money is a
concern you can borrow mikes or mixers but you cant borrow a core system.
As far as mikes you need a good studio condenser mike.I have a at4050/sm and I like it. The neumann tlm 103 looks like a good mike also.
I have a mackie 1604 vlz mixer but its not digital. I have seen the yamaha 01v digital
mixer. It has 24 inputs which includes 16
analog and you can hook it directly to your
computer system.
I dont have monitors persay. I have a good
set of digital headphones and mix with
"fresh ears". then I just take it to tape
and play it on different systems like my home
stereo and tape deck in my car. It sounds a
little different on each system. I would save
your money and opt for outboard gear first.
But if its not a problem Its worth getting
a good set of monitors.
The core system is #1. Check out www.motu.com
or digidesign.

The studio you should realy depends on what you can aford what is your buget.

A good system is:
Behringer 2004 (mixer)
SM 57/58, AKG c3000 (mics)
Pentium II, 400
128 meg of pc 100 ram
2*3gig scsi hdd
CRW6416SZ burner
40X cd rom
Cakewalk pro audio 9 (prg)
Delta 1010/EWS88MT (Sound card)
Alesis RA100 (PA)
spirit apsolute 2 (monitors)
Behringer autocom (compressor)
Easy cd pro (prg)
as well as all the instruments you need

This is an awsome setup

[This message has been edited by HAWLK (edited 09-19-1999).]

!Extreme Newbie here!

Actualy I have a question as well about building a studio...

Once you have, say a MOTU 2408, a good computer, some good mikes, a good location, and the right software...can you start recording right away? What else do you need? Ignoring effects and such...

You can plug a guitar into a soundcard and start. Doesn't take much. Try running from your amp line out directly into your VCR (yes, I mean it). You'd be amazed. What the rest of all this means is that it's one thing to record, and quite another to record well. That's what we're all chasing.

i would kinda consider your monitoring system (whether active: power amp combined with speakers, or passive: seperate power amp and speakers) to be more important than effects... i mean, you do pretty much need basics like a compressor, but if your buget is limited i'd consider monitors to be more important than almost all effects/outboard gear..

Hmmm, I get your point...thanks!

What I am really driving at is what hardware do you need other than what the MOTU and good software give you?

Obviously you want to use some effects processors and a good compressor coupled with good microphones, amps and instruments.

But is there something I am missing? Oh yeah, a good monitor system...

I sorta overlooked the monitor system...is it well worth the investment in getting a set of Alesis monitors?

almost always, you get what you pay for.. if i were you and i had the money, i'd get some nice monitors... cause the fact is, with a sucky monitoring system and a lot of effects, your effects and eq technique won't help much in making a good mix cause you can't hear them correctly... however, good monitors and basic eq and maybe some of the free plugins (cause you sound like your going on a computer) that come with your audio program will be able to make mixes as good as your ear is... or at least closer than with bad monitors

Along the same lines, I've searched the archives and my brain is melting. Can someone answer this-
I have a Fostex fd-8 (digital 8track). I have the standard setup otherwise; DAT, Marantz CD burner and so forth. If I move to Computer Recording (i have an iMAC and Compaq Presario) will that give me more than 8 tracks to work with? My gut feeling is yes, but with only 8 chanels on the Fostex I'm not sure.
Thanks, ken

Back