Boss BR800 recording track method

Wull

Hi I was a microBR user and upgraded to BR800. I normally build a drum track first then I record bass guitar and vocal tracks
I normally use about 10 tracks. I used to bounce mono tracks together and stereo tracks together
I'm finding it hard to understand how to do this - how do I get 12 tracks recorded then mix down to 2
its probably easy and I cant see it - Can anyone help please ?

Hi I was a microBR user and upgraded to BR800. I normally build a drum track first then I record bass guitar and vocal tracks
I normally use about 10 tracks. I used to bounce mono tracks together and stereo tracks together
I'm finding it hard to understand how to do this - how do I get 12 tracks recorded then mix down to 2
its probably easy and I cant see it - Can anyone help please ?

Record on tracks 1-8. Master those tracks down to tracks 1 and 2 / virtual tracks 7 and 8. Now tracks 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 are freed for use with virtual tracks. Record, then master all tracks to the virtual master track 7 and 8, virtual tracks 8. I do this all the time. I use a sub-mastering effect for the sub-mix, then a different mastering effect for the actual master. Don't do this again for even more tracks, because the sound gets dirtier and dirtier.

Back in the 80s when we were self recording with only 8 tracks we recorded 6 tracks of drums and dumped them to 2. Then recorded three guitar and one bass tracks, mixed them to 2 more. Vocal and harmony, and done. 12 tracks on an 8 track recording platform...that was on tape. I'm sure with digital you can do more.

Back