Boss BR1600/CD

:D I've been using the Yam 2816 for some time now; however, I thought about getting a BOSS BR1600 W/CD.

I figure it would be nice to have a back-up unit and I really like the Boss 880 drum box as it has quality patches.

But, what is the quality of the Boss 1600 and does it navigate easier than the Yam 2816?

If a few of you talented folks who may have used the Boss 1600 or are using it now could fill me in, I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks and spring is on the way.

Green Hornet :D

I have a BR-1600 and I think it's great. Very easy to use. Very good if you don't like to work with computers. It's good for like project studios or home recording, you can record bands and drumsets easily. You can make pretty good sounding recordings even if you are not very familiar with eq and mastering. You can listen to 2 tracks I recorded and mixed on the Br-1600 here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=647597

Yo Anders:
:cool:
Thanks for the info. For some reason that I haven't figured out, even with heavy ratiocination, I can't get my PC to play the songs. Takes forever to download and then, nada.

But, your info was helpful. I don't have much trouble navigating the Yam 2816 or mixing. But that word, "easier" sounds good.

I'm waiting to see what 2007 will offer in multitracks; from what I hear, DVD units with easier navigation are coming.

Thanks again,
Green Hornet :D

:D Yo Jeffrey:

A fantastic article. Looks like the BR1600 has too many roadblocks in spite of its simplicity or "advertised simplicity."

Guess I'll stick with my 2816 as I'm still finding new avenues on it each time I turn it on and travel into its X-ways of recording. [Now that's an analogy! :rolleyes: ]

Since you are using, I think, the AW1600, is its "routing" easier to follow than the 4416 or 2816? I guess I could go to the site and browse. Or, what is "easier" about the 1600 than the 2816?

Anyway, many thanks Jeffree.

Green Hornet

Ah, you have a good memory, Hornet. Actually, I've been using the aw16g since it hit the market in 2002. I find it absolutely clear, logical in its layout, and after the first few months, my fingers could move instinctively across it, almost without thought. That says a lot since I'm a musician first and only a reluctant engineer--the technical moves have always challenged me, and I've worked hard to keep my little home studio simple yet effective.

To be fair, though, it was my first step into the digital realm, moving from a Tascam Porta rig, so I have little else to compare it to. Also, as you know, although the 16g forum is a virtual lovefest for the Yam machines, it seems that newbies there often struggle a bit at first with the 16g/1600. I do know that the newer 1600 has a nearly identical layout as the 16g, with a few added features--usb port, pitch correction, 24-bit capability, and so forth. You might want to head over there and post some questions under the dedicated 1600 section. I suspect that you'll hear from someone there, like "mrskygod", who's also used (and may still use) the 2816 and 4600. That may help.

And in case you missed it over at SOS...
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/yamahaaw1600.htm

Good luck to you, pal.

J.

Last edited:
Back