Boss BR1600

Need some words from you folks who "KNOW>"

I was told yesterday by a vendor that the Boss 1600 was "easier" to use than the Yamaha AW1600. [funny they are both numbered the same!]

I read the Boss unit was plastic and not as sturdy as the Yamaha.

I read that the Boss had a smaller LCD screen.

I was told the Boss unit had better sound.

The AW1600 does not have stereo outs. The Boss unit does.

I've noticed that the Boss unit has held its price for some time while the Yam units have dropped in price.

ANY WORDS ONE WAY OR THE OTHER will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Green Hornet

I've had the AW1600 for two years. It has stereo outs.

It is easy to use.

Read the specs for each unit to determine which viewscreen is larger.

The AW1600 is NOT plastic and does not slide around the table like many of the lightweight plastic units available.

The only complaint I've had about the AW1600 is the weak preamps, but I have a number of outboard preamps (Mackie, Studio Projects) with which to compensate...

The onboard effects generators on the AW1600 are very very nice.

After two years with the AW1600 I regret nothing regarding the purchase and would do it again. I have known a few who returned or sold their BR1600 due to dissatisfaction, and though I'm sure that equivalent Yammy owners exist, I don't know any.

I doubt that you'll find many, if anyone, who owns both the Yammy and the Boss and can give you reliable comparisons...

Yamaha dropped the price of their original AW16G prior to releasing the 1600. I would imagine that was done in order to clear some shelf space for the new toy...

I seem to remember Tascam dropping the price of a 24-track DAW by quite a bit recently...

Good luck with your purchase...

Eric

:DYo Eric:

I appreciate you taking time to post your thoughts. I've been using the Yam 2816 for a few years. Only thing is the "return to go" button broke; it is still workable but every once in a while I have to use a pen knife to fish up the button so it will push the contact. I may just yank it out and use a pencil--did that on a tape deck once.

I like the Yam; I don't like all the redundant routing instructions in the manual but who the hell likes manuals? :rolleyes:

The vendor is giving me about 300 off the current price of the BR1600 but that is because I'm buying a pair of Adam A7s; thus he tossed a price for the two items. No discount that I know of is available on the Adam monitors--must be a fixed factory price lock.

I've yet to hear too many comments about the "sound" quality of the BR unit.

I really like the Boss 880 drum box--thus, I was thinking that the quality might also be in the BR1600.

BTW: I don't think there are any RCA stereo outs on the AW1600--if they are 1/4 inch, I could use a patch cord to connect the unit to my Yam integrated amp which is quite a box.

Well, thanks. Maybe I'll hear more from the brain trust here.

Green Hornet:cool:

Aye, the outs are 1/4". There's a TRS headphone out that can be used, as well as aux outs L&R and digital stereo in/outs. I suppose I'd rather had the jacks be balanced, but they are not.

The Yamaha has no channel inserts, but with all the onboard FX and dynamic processing they likely saw no need for more bells and whistles.

I refer to the manual OFTEN, but then again the Yami has a lot of features that I don't use very often, not to mention that I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree...

I've never heard the Boss unit, can't help ya with any questions on sound quality, though the Yamaha sounds pretty clean (with the option of 24-bit recording on 8 tracks) and I have no complaints yet...

Eric

Yo Eric:

You know with all the "touting" for the BR1600, it's kind of amazing more forum members don't comment. Why? That means that not too many folks are buying the unit. According to a recent "push to buy" move by one of my vendors, "Like I only have six sets left...." What a crock. I can buy the unit for about the same price from 22 vendors and someone has the balls to push it on me like it is in short supply? Ahh,the world of vending electronics.

Well, I'm still getting the Adam A7s monitors; however, I've decided to stick to my fave vendor who always tries to give me the best deal.

One other vendor never answered me when I asked about switching the BR1600 to the Yam AW1600, with the same monitors. Must mean something is funny, phoony or phoney! [Old English teachers just can't give it up!]

Appreciate your help and hope you and yours are enjoying the remains of a long hot summer.

Green Hornet:cool:;)

I have been using the BOSS BR1600 CDR for a couple of years now and have no complaints what so ever.
I could rant all day about what I like about the BOSS but I have done so in a similar thread in the Roland/Boss forum here. If I remember rightly it was you who started the afore mentioned thread.

If you want to hear what the BOSS 1600CDR sounds like you can check out "Hyperactive Wah Wah" and "One of These Days" in my signature! These two tunes were recorded entirely using the guitar amp simulators and the onboard drum patterns. These two tunes drums were the pre-sets already in the unit, you can program your own, which at the time I didn't know how to do.

My vote obviously goes to the BOSS1600 CDR.

:cool:

Thanks much.

However, I'm leaning to get the Yam 1600 as this vendor has treated me very well--usually the best price.

The Adam A7s are fixed; checked with a bunch of vendors--all selling for the same price. Must be the Franchise contract with Adam--NO DISCOUNTING or something like that.

If I'm unhappy with the Yam, I can always send it back and get the BR1600. [Good Vendor]

Have a super time. Appreciate your comments.

Green Hornet

Hi Green Hornet

I posted a reply to your BR1600cd vs Yamaha question that was in the Roland/Boss section :)

Back