Best practice guitar amp

scdaymon

Thinking about getting a practice amp (love plugins, but sometimes you just want to plug the guitar and rock on ).

I narrowed the choice to 2 amps:

Yamaha THR10

and

VOX Adio Air Gt.

The THR10 it's truly expensive (I mean, it's just a practice amp, for the love of God!!!) but it's supposed to sound awesome, and I really love the looks.
The Vox it's a fairly price, but looks horrible, and the presets are just ok.

Do you guys have any of those? Any suggestions out there?

Thanks a lot.

Thinking about getting a practice amp (love plugins, but sometimes you just want to plug the guitar and rock on ).

I narrowed the choice to 2 amps:

Yamaha THR10

and

VOX Adio Air Gt.

The THR10 it's truly expensive (I mean, it's just a practice amp, for the love of God!!!) but it's supposed to sound awesome, and I really love the looks.
The Vox it's a fairly price, but looks horrible, and the presets are just ok.

Do you guys have any of those? Any suggestions out there?

Thanks a lot.

Subjective question mate. Really up to what you want to do. Personally, I would go for the Vox. I love the sound of Vox amps. Moreover, the Adio Ait GT has a bigger sound than the THR10. Really feels like you are playing in a big speaker amp.

All things being equal, I usually think about re-sale value with any of these kinds of purchases and the likelihood that I can sell it used later in the future.

So which of those do you think will sell for the higher dollar later on?

I would guess VOX. But that's my personal preferrence.

Get yourself a vintage silverface or blackface Fender champ.
Sounds great, will take any pedal you wanna throw at it. Great for recording, practicing, jamming with a friend etc.

As to value, well, they'll keep on going up.
Back in the 80s and early 90s I would pick them up all day long for 75 bucks. Now, I've seen them from 4 to 700 bucks.

I have a 74 vibrochamp. If all other amps of mine were to go, that would remain till the end of days.

Yeah they're a bit pricey, but worth every penny and you'll never lose money on resale.
With modern modeling type amps, you're gonna lose money on resale.
What is great now, in six months will be replaced with something better, and no one will want your amp should you want to sell.

Now, to go the opposite way, if you want to go cheap, get a Mooer baby bomb. (about a hundred bucks.) Its a pedal sized 30 watt class D power amp, and it can go loud. I mean band rehearsal loud. Throw your favorite pedal in front as a preamp, plug into a speaker and you're good to go.
You'll probably never sell it cause it's so handy to have around.
:D

Last edited:
Hi there guys.

Thanks for your answers.
I tried both the Vox Adio air gt, and the Yamaha THR10X.
I had them both for about 3 weeks to choose one of them or return them both.
I chose to keep the Yamaha THR10X.

The VOX ADIO AIR GT is a great amp. It's surprisingly loud for such a little box (louder and clear than the Yamaha), and it has amazing clear modulations (the AC30, the AC30 TB, The Boutique Clean, The Boutique Overdrive... they're all awesome modulations.). And no doubt that the Bluetooth gadget is cool (for listening to music and for changing the presets). But for overdrive modulations (and those are really important for me) it was just plain awful and muddy.
The looks... well, you know, I could live with it. And the price was reasonable than the Yamaha.

The YAMAHA THR10X (X for the metal edition), is not that loud, and the stereo not that impressive as the vox. It does not have Bluetooth, and is pricier... but dear Lord, the quality of the sound... you could almost swear that's a valve amp.
And the overdrive... you really have to try it.

Last edited:
Back