Best Live Performance Setup

redwolfie

Hello all,

I'm not sure where to post this question so I'll just write it here and forgive me for doing so. I would like to setup guide as to how to achieve the best vocal/sound for any small (about 200 people) live performance. We've got equipments setup down the basement for practice but we would like to play live someday. Our problem is with the vocal. It sounds very dry and perhaps you folks could help me on this. Here's what we've got:

1. Crown XS500 amp
2. Crown XLS602 amp
3. Yamaha MG16-6FX mixer
4. DBX 116XL Compressor/Limiter/Gate
5. DBX 223XL Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover
6. Alesis MidiVerb4 Digital Effects Processor
7. (2) Yamaha SW118V 18" subwoofer 600W/1200W peak
8. (2) JBL EON15 Monitors/Speakers
9. (2) JBL EON15P Powered Speakers/Monitors

With these gears, could someone show me the best connection to hook these up and the parameter setting values for them especially the compressor, crossover, and the effects processor.

Thank you all in advance!
redwolfie

Good gear list. Every room you put that in will sound completely different, and I'm not too surprised it doesn't sound so good in a basement. As far as crossover points go, generally speaking crossover points are set up to match the cabinet frequency responses.
You probably need to invest in a good book on "Live" sound for everything else. Spend your lunch hours reading it, and soon, you'll have some acoustic and EQ and FX chops to go along with that monster PA.

Hi,

I understand that I need to read up on how to hook all these equipments for optimal performance however, I'm just looking for some baseline settings to work with. Perhaps, some suggestions on effects send/return on mixer, Alesis parameters for vocals, etc.

Thanks

redwolfie said:
Hi,

I understand that I need to read up on how to hook all these equipments for optimal performance however, I'm just looking for some baseline settings to work with. Perhaps, some suggestions on effects send/return on mixer, Alesis parameters for vocals, etc.

Thanks

I believe the Alesis can process its left and right side independantly like two mono processors so its probably best to loop it through the AUX1 and AUX2 send/returns then you can access each side from your two AUX controls on each channel. I'm sure the Alesis has some vocal oriented presets already but it might be cool thing to program each side with a completely different effect then experiment with different blends of all 3 on each channel (ex: mixerFX=Reverb ;AUX1=Chorus ;AUX2=Delay)

If your complaint is sounding too dry perhaps your master effects/sends arent set up properly and the FX just arent getting out to your channels. Look up how to properly set this in your mixer manual. If you dont have a manual for any of the products you own most can be freely downloaded from each companies website and are probably the best place to start when seeking answers to most of what your questions. Also, manuals often have easy to read hook up diagrams that cover using them with other gear.

Half the battle is just learning your equipment and the other half will be more a trial and error process on your part. Since mixing and rack gear is modular, effects possiblilities are endless, and all rooms are different its really difficult for anyone to tell you what your exact configuration and settings need to be. Best bet is to learn at least the basics from your manuals first then experiment like crazy untill you start to hear what you like.

Last edited:
NRS said:
I believe the Alesis can process its left and right side independantly like two mono processors so its probably best to loop it through the AUX1 and AUX2 send/returns then you can access each side from your two AUX controls on each channel. I'm sure the Alesis has some vocal oriented presets already but it might be cool thing to program each side with a completely different effect then experiment with different blends of all 3 on each channel (ex: mixerFX=Reverb ;AUX1=Chorus ;AUX2=Delay)

If your complaint is sounding too dry perhaps your master effects/sends arent set up properly and the FX just arent getting out to your channels. Look up how to properly set this in your mixer manual. If you dont have a manual for any of the products you own most can be freely downloaded from each companies website and are probably the best place to start when seeking answers to most of what your questions. Also, manuals often have easy to read hook up diagrams that cover using them with other gear.

Half the battle is just learning your equipment and the other half will be more a trial and error process on your part. Since mixing and rack gear is modular, effects possiblilities are endless, and all rooms are different its really difficult for anyone to tell you what your exact configuration and settings need to be. Best bet is to learn at least the basics from your manuals first then experiment like crazy untill you start to hear what you like.

NRS,
Thanks for your fast response. I will start from there and work my way up with experimenting different effects. I thought that I could get a baseline for the effect parameters but i realized that it'll be hard for anyone since we all work in different environments. Anyways, thanks again for your input.

WARNING: thread hijack.

hey guys, i hate to hijack someone else's thread, but i tried making a new thread like 4 times already and it just takes me to a blank screen. doh!

anyway, does anyone make a crossover these days with 1/4" I/O?

my uncle needs one, his live rig is kinda old, doesn't have any XLR connections, but it seems like all the 3-way xovers these days are XLR. his old (and i mean OLD) crossover took a dump, so we're looking for a new one for Saturday. all i've seen is a dbx unit on MF for $199. doesn't look like any of the local Banjo Marts stock it though...any suggestions? :confused:

zed32 said:
hey guys, i hate to hijack someone else's thread, but i tried making a new thread like 4 times already and it just takes me to a blank screen. doh!

anyway, does anyone make a crossover these days with 1/4" I/O?

my uncle needs one, his live rig is kinda old, doesn't have any XLR connections, but it seems like all the 3-way xovers these days are XLR. his old (and i mean OLD) crossover took a dump, so we're looking for a new one for Saturday. all i've seen is a dbx unit on MF for $199. doesn't look like any of the local Banjo Marts stock it though...any suggestions? :confused:

What difference does it make? A couple of adapters and away you go.

i guess he doesn't wanna buy adapters? i dunno...i guess it might be cheaper overall to get a cheap ass crossover and some adapters than to get the dbx

Back