Best cheap headphones for Home Recording Studio?

I came to cross this post of my... 7 years after. Cool stuff!

When it comes to headphone I ended up buying the wonderful AKG K702.
They sound really great and accurate (I need to pause a lot though, cause they really make me feel tired. Weird stuff!).

As monitors I ended buying the also awesome PRESONUS ERIS 3.5.

:listeningmusic:

AKG 702...a lot of great reviews on those. 7yrs later! hell yeah.

not so sure about the "awesome" presonus 3" speaker at 25watt...but haven't used them, 25watt on the driver, 25watt on the tweeter is pretty conservative, :confused:

Well, to be honest I wanted to buy the "Krk rokit g3"... but man, they're really expensive!!!

So I decided that the Presonus would do the stuff. They're not the greatest monitors ever, but I can assure they're pretty honest.
And so, I could save to buy more gear: my sweatest new toy: Yamaha THR10X.

?

so did you compare the 702 with others?

yeah monitors , the whole room thing and loudness and bass, and what kind of music you do....maybe the presonus are fine..I dont know.
I dont think monitors made me mix better., but they do sound a bit different which is subjective what we like.
I had some BX5 that were popular but they didnt work, until adding a subwoofer then it was game-on...I was using a room the size of a two car garage too. I think the monitors need to match the room, I dont know.
just thinking of the whole room and monitor thing kind of overwhelms. Good open-back headphones and a nice amp, a good Crossfeed plugin on the Master buss...its not so bad. :eatpopcorn:

I did not compare the K702 with others (at least worth mentioning). I did what I always do when I want to buy some gear : I read a lot about, and then I choose.
Last time I bought an amp was diferent: I ordered on internet till I found the one I wanted (but it's a investment in time and money... cause keep sending back stuff, costs money).
Nevertheless the K702 are a great piece of gear... even though pretty expensive.
I noticed though, that it really makes me tired when using them for a couple of hours.
Now, with that in mind, I only used them for about an hour or so... and then I pause for another hour.

Bx5? Behringer right?
I guess I cross some of thoses.
It's like you said, there are a lot of things to consider when buying monitors. I knew that. But I also know that the decisions I made need to follow a budget... a pretty tight one.
And to be honest, I need to learn a lot about mixing (and mastering) before even starting to use really good and expensive material.
For instance, the Presonus are not really monitors... they're kind of a good multimedia speakers. But they kind of respect the sound. I that'll have to do for the moment.

I'm recording my second album (please, go visit my bandcamp to listen to the first one: "Insomnia Asylum" is my one man's band, and "Alprazoland" the album. Or give it a spin on youtube on "The Clown's Funeral").
Sure there are a lot of stuff completely messed up (mixing stuff... I did not master the album)... buy hey man, at the end of the day, it's really the music that counts. I keep learning every day, and enjoy doing it.

Do you also tape some stuff of your own?

I personally prefer Sony MDR 7506's. I get off of E Bay and in some cases rebuild them. I also go with Tascam TH-MX2's. They are about the same in performance as the Sony's except that the Tasacm's are a lot cheaper new.

Those Sony MDR 7506's are always a standard when it comes to tracking headphones. They are good at limiting head phone bleed, especially doing vocals fairly close to the mic. I wouldn't recommend them for mixing, though. A lot of people these days seem to be hell-bent on mixing without the aid of monitors. For that you need a more open back design. A good starting point is the AKG 240, although I would personally suggest the Sennheiser HD650. The cost is higher but they are more comfortable and seem to be better built.

I think there might be something wrong with the OP's 201s?* I had a pair of 202s and they weren't at all bad. I presently use a pair of AKG K92s that suit me for general listening and not to disturb SWMBO! I do not mix leave alone master anything!

In the "stoodio" (grotty little bedroom) I have a pair of Tannoy 5As and son found them ok for modest levels mostly jazz and classical. I ha ve promised myself some proper monitors before I get too old to appreciate them. At the moment I am very fixated on the Result Six.

There is a possibly better route for passing decent monitors? Massive mention B&W well, not likely to find any of those cheap in a charity shop but you might come across a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds? Well thought of in their day. Married up with a modest, 30-40 watts per ch Japanese amplifier, again S/H, such a setup will probably be more accurate than many so called "monitors" for the same outlay. A pair of the smaller Celestions or KEFa would also be worth a do.

*Or more likely, whatever they are plugged into!
Dave.

Back