Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best cheap headphones for Home Recording Studio?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I love it when the works "Best" and "Cheap" are used in the same sentence.

I have some pairs of HD201's in the studio, they were bought in to have extra sets when tracking a 12 piece vocal group. Funny enough they are the preferred headphones by the artists that come in, they are light weight and they sound good, especially for the price.

Would I mix or master with them? Never! In fact I almost never use headphones during mixing, I may put a pair on near the end of the mix session to just have a listen but no decisions on the mix are made with headphones.

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    Every decision you make regarding your mix...from reverb to volume and pan is gonna be made based on what you hear. If you can't hear what's really happening in your mix, you can't make accurate decisions on what to do with it.
    In the long travel of music production, which i've just begun, i came to realize the importance of what you're saying my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
    took me a couple years to get it sorted. I started putting out some good mixes.
    I guess that will be the way. Maybe in some years, I'll get the stuff I want.
    By now, I'll try to get some studio monitors (maybe those from m-audio), to get started.
    And when I say "by now"... it really means, in some 5 ou 6 months!!!
    Ps: Well, I'm portuguese...have you've heard about Portugal?! This country is a mess.
    I'm a lawyer (much more like a legal adviser... but I got a nasty payment!!!).

Anyways... thanks a lot, Dogbreath, for your help, and thanks for your good mood and sense of humor!

Thanks to the others as well.

I'll keep struggling to become the next Jens Bogren!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    I love it when the works "Best" and "Cheap" are used in the same sentence.

I know what you mean. But there is really nice gear, that doesn't cost a lot.
    For instance: my electric guitar, Cort X1, it's a really nice guitar for playing a lot of stuff, and it was really cheap.

But I guess in general, good gear costs a lot of money...

Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    I have some pairs of HD201's in the studio (...) Funny enough they are the preferred headphones by the artists that come in, they are light weight and they sound good, especially for the price.
    I really hate those HD201... and I used to trust a lot in Seinnheiser.
    You just can't hear the things properly... not the sound quality, that may be good, but it's like it needs power supply... it has very low response.
    I might prefer those little MX 370 headphones man!!!

Thanks
    I used to have the HD201's but I broke them \o/ I suppose the quality wasnt so bad but they were not particularly comfortable - and I broke them rather easily which comes to question the build quality?
    Now Im going to buy these.
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/ollie-kaye/let-me-go[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    check out my band [URL="https://www.facebook.com/blindsummittheband"]Blind Summit[/URL]

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Now I don't want to ---- That sounds like something *I'd* write.

Geez, do I really have that obvious of a style...?

(EDIT)

Yep -- https://homerecording.com/bbs/equipm...4/#post3868296

Wait a minute -- I didn't even need to Google that -- It's part of this very thread!!!

So what's the angle here? Are you a spam-bot that steals people's posts from the same forums and then suddenly links to vacation homes or something?

Thanks
    Shouldn't headphones be part of the evaluation process? I've heard things that sound decent on speakers but phones reveal issues and vice versa. The goal being to make the mix sound decent no matter what you listen to it through.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    Shouldn't headphones be part of the evaluation process? I've heard things that sound decent on speakers but phones reveal issues and vice versa. The goal being to make the mix sound decent no matter what you listen to it through.
    I think that headphones should be used in the evaluation process. I use about 4 different sources to evaluate my mixes. Of course most of it is with the monitors, but I use the headphones quite a bit also.

Thanks
    i would probably go for either sennheiser headphones or the sony v55 Cheap Sony Headphones Earphones Earbuds & Headsets

Thanks
    Here is an article you can read Studio Headphones then I will add this as a novice, not knowing your expertise. You can spend a bazillion dollars but if you don't know what your listening for it will do no good until you do know. Whatever you use cheap or expensive you need to know how it translates to different sound systems be it the best money can buy, a car stereo or a boombox. Yes great equipment can reveal more detail but that does not mean you can't achieve a decent mix on a lower budget if you put the knowledge and work behind it. Things that cost nothing can make a huge difference from mic placement to the sweet spot in the room to E.Q. I know just enough to be dangerous but my mixes get better as I learn more, I mix something then burn it and listen to it on different systems and critique it then go back make adjustments and do it again...learning my systems weak spots and my own. I am not suggesting you mix or master on phones but if that is all you have use it until you can save for better and learn everything you can while honing your ears and your skills as well as listen to a ton of different music and how it is mixed. I am new here and am excited to get some mixes up and having them critiqued by folks that know WAY more than this newbie.

Thanks
    Let me echo what others have said. I've been in many studios from high-end professional to cost-effective home studios over 35+ years. Monitors and headphones are not only key to producing an excellent product, but are a long-term investment compared to many other items in a studio.

Thread Information