Behringer Xenyx Q802 USB good for home recording?

FutureBreed

So i want to buy an USB interface just to record guitars for my album, right now i have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but the problem is, it's not mine, it's my friend's and he will need it back next month. I've looked on thomann to see some nice interfaces and i found this https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_q802_usb.htm

I know it's probably more than i need but does anyone ever tried it? I want it to run like this: my guitar into mixer's line level mono input, then from mixer main output to my PC's sound card line input (so i can monitor my guitar WITH the effects from my DAW, and of course i will connect the mixer via USB to my PC and use it as an interface).

I read something that you cannot monitor your guitar with this or something like that. Does anyone knows more about this?

Stick with something like the 2i2 which has an 'INST' input setting or separate HI-Z input specific for an instrument such as a guitar. The line input on a mixer is generally going to be low impedance and might just suck the nice tone out of your guitar by loading it down. There are other problems recording with a cheap mixer such as the one you had mentioned and you'll generally be better of with a decent interface. There are interfaces around $100 that would work well for what you want to do.

This one for example...... Alesis iO2 Express USB Audio Interface

Thanks for the reply! However i would like to consider some other options too because that one is a bit out of my budget range. What I'm looking in an interface is performance, by that i mean to be able to have lots of vst instruments opened in Cubase. I can do that without problems with this Focusrite, i would love to buy a Focusrite 2i2 for myself but i saw that they raised the price a lot, marketing the new Focusrite 2i2 as being the "2nd Generation" but as you can see it's pretty much the same interface, the only difference is that it's much more expensive.

2 weeks ago i built my PC, I have now an Intel Skylake 6400 quadcore, 16 GB DDR4 Ram and i bought a new motherboard, so my PC can handle all the programs very well, the only thing i worry about is the performance of the new interface.

I found this interface https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_u_phoria_umc202hd.htm the price is perfect, but i really don't know how much it can handle.

The interface you linked would likely be OK and it does have instrument input capability. I haven't seen too many actual user reviews on the Behringer interfaces, but the ones I have seen don't seem to indicate any particular problems. The ability to use the VST's is in your DAW and not really related to the interface.

I don't have much experience with recording equipment but i have to say, when i'm using my Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE in Cubase i cannot go with more than 10 tracks loaded each one with a Guitar Rig 5 Preset, Superior Drummer preset and Spectrasonic's Trilian loaded, but when i'm using the Focusrite i can do that with no problems, i thought that the processor of the interface/sound card determines the performance of the VSTs.

It may be since the SoundBlaster card is within the computer, it shares resources between the DAW and VST's, where the 2i2 is separate it does its own audio processing, freeing up memory and CPU time for the DAW and VST's, thus capable of more. Not sure if the right answer, but would seem to be a reasonable assumption.

I get it, it makes sense, but my question is, is the cheaper interface capable of the same performance as the Focusrite? Maybe they deliver the same amount of performance?

Back