behringer ultragain pro 2200

kip4

yer its christmas and my family have kindly bought me a behringer b2 pro mic (ldc) and ultragain pro 2200
the mic sounds great (upgrade from C1) much rounder pallette and a bit less toppy
i went for the tube pre to add some so called warmth
has anyone got any experience of this preamp or any favorite settings to share or tips
thanks

Wow... They still make that thing...

Okay - On the bright side -- If you bypass everything - and I mean everything - No low cut, certainly no EQ circuit engaged, no gain at the output (and it's not incredibly easy to find unity on that unit if I recall), it isn't the worst thing out there.

The low cut is horrible. The EQ circuit should be illegal. The gain is dirty. The "toob" is fake. The thing has somewhere close to *0* usable headroom beyond line level. But *IF* you keep your input levels "normal" (peaking around -15 to -12dBFS, certainly not even going over unity on the input meters on the preamp itself) you could do worse. Yes, it's still somewhat noisy, yes it's a little 'pinched' with transients (again, no reasonable amount of headroom), but YES, you can actually capture a decent signal with it if everything else is bypassed.

Personally speaking - If the family wouldn't take it personally, returning and upgrading to M-Audio's DMP3 would put you in another world of quality for a relatively tiny investment. Still no usable headroom (you're really not going to find a "hearty" preamp in this price range), but for the $$$, you'd be challenged to find a unit with more focus and clarity.

Back